Engine Block Stampings

MarchieB

I mentioned a while back about a '72 402 Custom I was thinking of buying. Well I've been very busy as of late and was going to go back this weekend for some pics and a copy of the appraisal to show you guys to determine if the asking price was fair.

What I need to know is where can I find the VIN/Serial # on the engine block ('72 402). I think I have a rough idea but I'd like some input before driving out to see the car and then not being able to find the stamping.

If anyone has a pic or diagram of the location that would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefuly I should have a crude website setup by Monday to post my pics then we can reopen the discussion about the value of the car.

Thanks MarchieB

[This message has been edited by MarchieB (edited 09-18-2002).]

Thanks Andreas. Do you happen to know what part of the VIN # is on the block casting. The website mentions it being "partial VIN code"

The VIN# is NOT cast, but a stamped number somewhere on a pad behind the alternator. I looked at a 454 block for a SS Monte recently and it had the whole VIN# stamped on it, as far as I remember...

Vin number stampings one of 2 places on the block. The machined pad on the right front of the block (behind the alternator) OR stamped vertically on a rough cast area above the oil filter on the side of the block where the transmission mounts.

The "stamp" will not include the complete VIN but will begin with the number 1 for Chevrolet Division, then year of car (0 for 70) at letter for the plant of manufacture (B for Baltimore and the 6 digit consecutive VIN number of the car, ie the last six numbers of the VIN tag on the dash. The stamp will not include the body information or engine code (72 only) that is listed in the VIN on the dash.

The original engine head decks were "broached, machined flat in a straight line" by GM during engine manufacture, not decked in a circular motion like most/all machine shops do with a "Sunnen brand" decking machine. This is something to look at to see if restamped. Unlikely in a Monte Carlo, probably in a BB Corvette.

If it can be counterfited, its been done in the Corvette world as it was invented there years ago. There are several "experts" with a large and complete library of "known engine stamps". Yes, there are people who can/will restamp blocks and you cannot tell it was a restamp. The proper stamps are still sold by the original GM supplier. A complete set with "Gange" holder for the stamps cost about $1,500. It's all in knowing where to go! This is what the folks who advertise engine stamping have done. At $200-$500 a stamp that most of these guys charge, it does not take long to pay for stamps. If you have the proper stamps and knowledge of the changes during the different model years you can make some bucks. The big difference (between the men and the boys) is know the proper look/preparation of the head deck to get the broach marks correct prior to stamping the block. All of this is actually not quite legal as it is a felony to remove a VIN number from a block. I guess this depends on who removes the original numbers? Don't tell that to most engine builders/machine shops as engines are decked every day accross the US during engine rebuild machining and this removes the original numbers, OH WELL!

It is difficult to read the VIN stamp if it is down by the oil filter. Light stamps, grease and limited access make it hard to read. It you have a BB and the there is NO evidence of a "VIN" stamp on the front right engine pad, it will be by the oil filter.

Remember, in either case there will STILL be the engine assembly stamp/code on pad at the right front of the engine. This stamp was installed at the "engine" manufacturing plant. Tonawanda NY for BB engines. The VIN stamp was installed on the engine at the car assembly plant.

Hope this helps with a little information.

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

Thanks Mike, is the stamp on the machined pad behind the alternator easy to see? or does anything have to be removed?

I'm pretty sure the engine hasnt been decked and it's almost all original so I'm hoping the stamp is still there.

The stamp behind the alternator CAN be seen with the alternator installed although it can be difficult due to the bracket and limited light. Use a flashlight/drop light. Most likely you will have to wipe the grease off the pad to see anything.

One stamp will start with a T, four numbers, and one of the engine codes listed by Andreas.

The other stamp (if it is there?) will be as previously described by me OR down by the oil filter in no other stamp on engine pad.

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

Thanks guys, I'm not too concerned about any engine codes b/c 72's HAVE the engine code in the VIN# "U" being for a 402, if the engines stamped # matches the VIN's # I'll be happy biggrin.gif

Update:

Offically called back owner and going to go tomorrow morning to take a second look at the car. Convinced my father to tag along. I think as soon as he sees it it will be love @ first sight ... the second time (the first new car he ever bought was a '72 Monte 350; owned 20 years, daily driver which is quiet outstanding considering he drove it in the 70's and 80's in Canada where they used almost straight salt in the winters)

Anyway I should be able to scan the pics tomorrow afternoon and possibly post them Sunday (fingers crossed)

Is there any less obvious area of the car that I may not have thought of to shoot a photo of so that someone can help determine the value of the car.

Thank MarchieB cool.gif

[This message has been edited by MarchieB (edited 09-20-2002).]