Steering Column

Leghome

Is it possible to have the steering shaft inside the column out of whack 180 degrees? All of the photos I have looked at toady have the horn button connector at about 10 o'clock. Mine is at 4 o'clock and my turn signals usually do not turn off after cornering. If so can I just undo the bolts on the rag joint and spin it 180 degrees?

Hi Larry the steering shaft has a flat spot on it at both connection for the bolt to slide int, if you have bolts in then it could be the steering wheel. I know mine is off on my 70 when I switched over to the three spoke wheel.

The flat spot is what told me that i was 180 degrees out of whack plus the signals not turning off after making a corner. I can take it loos att he rag joint and rotate it the 180 degrees and all will be great. I must have rotated the shaft when I put int he tilt column.

I tried that today Sam an one bolt is slightly larger so that option did not work. I have got it close to the 10 o'clock position. It is at 10  but the lock plate is not centered over the horn connection. The center of the lock plate is around 11 o'clock. I have had it apart 4 times today and this is the closest I have had it to 10 o'clock. My back is aching from leaning over the fender and my hamstrings have tightened up real well also

One thing to check Larry....

Make sure your steering box is centered

You should have approx 1 3/4 turns to the left and right from center, I've seen this many times

I finally finished up the steering column shaft problem yesterday. I had the rag joint off of the gear box alt least 7 times over the past two days and everything is now perfect. The new Dakota Digital Cruise work great, the turn signals turn off after cornering for the first time since I installed the tilt column four years ago and my new neutral safety switch is installed on the floor shifter. The old switch had a crack in the bakalite causing it to not make good contact. I am almost ready for the NMCOA meet at the end of this month and the Eastern Meet in Norwalk in July. :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay: