ENGINE - Electric Fuel Pumps...Your opinions

Do any of you run Electric Fuel pumps? How do you like them? I'm cosidering running an electric pump instead of a mechanical pump. What fuel pressures do you run with it?

I have a holley Im not sure on the Model #. I could get it if you need it and I run a 750 carb soon to be 850. Pump works great 7.5 pounds of pressure on the reg. at all times. Works great for me I did however have one bad thing happen to me it was really bad. When I first bought the car I was doing about 120 down the free way and the hot wire that goes to the fuel pump rubed off on the frame and cought on fire and I had a hell of a time puting the electrical Fire out. I put the wire in loom at this point and I am no longer worried about it. Just make sure you put it on a fuse as the guy I had bought my car from was not smart enough to do so. Anyway Works great for me.

Run an electric fuel pump at 5-6 lbs with a carb. If you are using OE EFI, Chevys run 40-45 lbs., best to have pump in gas tank. I use a mechanic pump when using a carb and electric with EFI. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 350, 700R4 almost finished

'71 Saddle SS454 orginial

'71 Project, 2"-3" top chop

I had problems with the stock mech. pump on my 454 at high RPMS. Put in a Carter street HI PO pump (mechanical). It works great. Like a different car. Make sure the tank is clean and the line is good and at least 3/8s" all the way. Fred.

I have an electric pump on mine along with a lo-pressure switch on the oil line. This means that I have a double throw switch, one diection is to start the engine, the other is side is for when the engine starts. This is a safty feature for if anything happens, the fuel pump shuts off because there is no oil pressure.

------------------

George Lines

Im running a Holley Blue pump. I HATE IT. To dam noisy...... But I guess I didn't have much choice. With the mech style pump she would lean out when I was spraying it, like I meen realy lean out.... I had to run a 10 degree retard just to keep it from detonating. Oh well I guess a little noise is better than a blown up engine....Mark

Love the electric fuel pump! Car seems to start much easier now that fuel is pumping as soon as I turn the ignition. The only problem I had was mating up the gas lines. The fuel pump I bought had fittings for a 5/16 hose instead of a 3/8 (Monte type) so I had to do a little adapting. Also, I wanted to use the existing fuel pump to filter line so I had to buy a female to female brass fitting (made by Weatherhead,available at NAPA) to which I connected a short metal line too. Then I connected the existing fuel tank line (metal) to the new short metal line. I you want pictures let me know. It pays to have about 6' of 3/8" and 5/16" rubber fuel line handy for adapting and stuff.

Good Luck,

Allen

p.s. Almost forgot. I had to use telfon tape on all the pipe threads. Just be sure that the teflon doesn't extend below the threads so that it doesn't get into the fuel line.

Great feedback! I really apritiate the input. It makes my decision alot easier. Allen what brand of pump is that? FAdams, what is the part number. I'm going mechanical for right now, but will soon be changing over to electric. I'd like to have some numbers on hand. that way i know exactly what to go for. Thanks again to everyone. It's very helpful.

jon.

By the way, Mark, what type of noise does it make? Can you hear it inside the car? Wheres it mounted? I looked at a blue Holley pump yesterday. I almost bought it. i'm going to run a noisy cam gear. think I could hear it over that?

Clock, for some reason I can't describe what the blue pump sounds like right now. If I can think of somthing to compare it to ill let you know... or if anybody else that runs a Holley pump.... feel free to describe it. Mark

Here is a direct link http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFP/12-802-1.html 93.95 right now at www.Summitracing.com Mine is also a little noisy! This is do to the fact that it is right upagainst the frame. If I took it back off and installed rubber between the pump and the body of the car I could fix most of the noise. That is what I recomend you do as far as the noisy cam gear those are sooooo sweet I'm puting one in my monte and no I dont think you will be able to hear the pump over that and the exhaust no way. I love my pump would never go anyother way.....

Im running a Mallory 110ghp electric pump on my car, it works great, u want to mount it close to the gas tank and preferably as low as possible to help gravity feed it. The electric pump makes a humming noise that is noticible when putting around over my flowmasters that dump before the axle however my pump is mounted directly to the trunk pan with no rubber mounts or anything so im sure that makes it amplified. Other than that use a fuse on your power wire and everything should be good.

Damb, Great info guys, I really appritiate all your posts on this. Definitley going with the electric pump now! I'll keep all this in mind. thanks a bunch!

Jon.

My holly pump is mounted on the very last crossmember under the bumper because I welded a rear sump on a new tank. I can hear it, but I think it sounds cool and so do others. If you mount it for a normal pickup near the axle, you will find yourself running out of gas under hard acceleration (the gas moves to the back of the tank)unless you keep enough fuel in it to prevent this.

------------------

George Lines

I am running a Holley Red pump. It sounds like a new car with an in-tank pump. I can't hear it when the car is running though. The best thing about the electric pumps is the ease of tuning the carb. If you wire the pump so that you can turn the pump off without turning the engine off. This way, you can run the carb mostly out of gas. This is also great for winter storage as the gas won't sit in the carb and wear out the gaskets.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer mechanical pumps for carburated applications. It's a safety issue, engine stops, fuel flow stops. Modern cars with FI have "in tank" electric pumps with several safety shutoffs typically oil pressure AND a accident/rollover switch. Most FI conversions performed by enthusiasts I have seen have external (in-line) electric pumps and NO Safety switches of any kind. This is in my opinion, foolish and VERY unsafe. In an accident the fuel can keep flowing if there is power to the pump. NOT VERY SMART. This foolishness of no safety switches and electric fuel pumps applies to most carburated/FI drag race cars I see. There are lots of ways to leave this world, burning up is at the "bottom" of my list. Winston Cup requires mechanical fuel pumps in all their divisions. Could it be a safety thing?

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

70 SS 454 Chevelle Convertible

73 Buick Gran Sport Century Stage 1 Four Speed

67 427/400 A/C Corvette Coupe

67 327/300 A/C Corvette Converible

67 P.O.S. Corvette Convertible

65 327/300 Corvette Coupe

66 Shelby GT-350 Vintage Race Car

70 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1 Convertible

Great point. While investigating electric pumps in the catalog, I came across the oil pressure shutoff selinoid switches and thought that I would have to buy one of those if I installed this type of fuel pump. i went ahead and installed a mechanical pump just for the reason I had other priorities for my money and wanted to get this engine in and running. I still plan on an electric pump down the road but plan on installing it correctly with all the saftey switches also. I did look into the saftey aspect of these pumps because my kids will be riding in the car also. Thanks for the info..

Jon.