Some trouble with carburetor (Rochester 2GC)

Guest AnHie66

Guest AnHie66

Hi all,

I have some odd installations in my -72 carburetor Rochester 2 GC; I am not sure if it could be original one.

It works just fine, but have some peculiar of missing mountings, see the links:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24494052/carb2.jpeg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24494052/carb.jpg

If anyone can clarify, what might be the right way to mount the circled areas.

Sorry about basic/ lousy English...

Anssi from Finland, Europe.

I have not seen many 2 bbl Rochester carbs in my life and not one like yours ever.

I believe all the items circled show the attempt by the previous owner, to "plug them" so they didn't leak either vacuum, or in the case of the large one in front of the carb, gasoline or gasoline vapor.

If you no longer have the stock air cleaner, one vacuum tube is no longer needed for the "thermac" or air cleaner inlet cold air shut off door.

If you no longer have a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve in one of the valve covers. (I think I do see one, perhaps it is hooked up at the front of the carb)

If you no longer have an emission devise called TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) one vacuum tube is no longer needed for that device.

The only one NOT plugged is a large one at the rear of the carb. If it leaks vacuum when the engine is running, I would plug it also.

Do you have a vacuum advance can on your distributor? If you do and it isn't hooked up, that would be one of them.

Test the "plugged" tubes for vacuum with a gauge, while the engine is running. Note that there should be one I believe should be attached to the advance can on the distributor, that will not have vacuum till the throttle plate is opened. This is called a "ported" signal.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't. My 71 350 has the original 4 bbl.

Bruce

Guest AnHie65

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay for Your replies, just registered to the club and the forum as well.

Bruce, thank You for Your good answer and views to the point.

The car is in quite original condition, for example it has the stock air cleaner and therefore  the Thermac system. The distributor is linked by the clear hose which is not very clearly seen in the pictures.

I will take some more photos within these days to clear the view for You all. Unfortunately the weather in Western Finland is so rainy in these days that the Monte is under the sheet in garage waiting for some sunny summer days. 

Anssi

Guest AnHie65

Hello again,

If these two pictures helps... Still looking for the missing hoses in my carburetor.

And of course, if someone has a 2 BBL carburetor in his/her Monte, some pictures could be super!

In the links the pictures are high resolute.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24494052/File%2012.7.2016%2020.06.54b.jpeg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24494052/File%2012.7.2016%2020.10.23.jpeg

File%2012.7.2016%2020.10.23b.jpg

File%2012.7.2016%2020.06.54c.jpg

Anssi

The charcoal canister (as I understand it) holds fuel tank fumes, that come to it in the one hose that is still attached, from the fuel tank area.

One of the missing hoses is attached to the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) line.

One (the smallest) is attached to the carb.

Here are some pictures of my 71 350 4BBL.

I have removed the TCS solenoid.

Hope these help.

Bruce Stange

Stove pipe

83 07 15

post-76-0-73703100-1468347141_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-73703100-1468347141_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-56662200-1468347275_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-45123500-1468347293_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-89120200-1468347177_thumb.jpg

If you like, I can take some pictures of the 2g Rochester and intake I pulled off mine. Haven't had the heart to get rid of it and this would be the second time it's come in handy.

Sounds like a great idea Mike.

I just saw an old post with several pictures of a 2BBL carb. I may try to re-post them.

Bruce

Anssi,

Check out this post, it has pics of a 2BBL carb that may help you.

Bruce

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15471-timing-andor-carburetor-issues/

Ok I think there are some differences on the carbs.

I have an electric solenoid on the driver side of the carb where you have a vacuum connection.

20160717_1245541_zps8l3bvqej.jpg

The vacuum line at the base of the carb on the left I believe went to my vacuum advance on the distributor. The line on the right to the air doors on the air cleaner.

20160717_1246321_zpsvzrkduar.jpg

This little guy I believe went to the charcoal canister.

20160717_1249521_zpsldft59n4.jpg

Driver side shot of the carb.

20160717_1247081_zpspllhhveo.jpg

Interestingly the pcv connection comes off the intake and not the carb on at least this 2bbl. Not that I have seen many. Let me know if you need pics of different angles.

Edit: Thinking about the pcv connection. I think I remember it was possibly T'd at the connection for the charcoal canister and the pcv so it would draw vapor from the canister and gasses from the valve cover. Been a long time since I had it mounted as with the way its sitting in the box there would be no connection for the canister. I would have to find my original valve covers to see if there is another connection on them.

This can happen when 45 years pass, several owners pass and one of them replaced the ORIGINAL carb for a (so called) rebuilt carb.

Who knows who did what to most of our first generation Monte Carlos.

Bruce

Wow,

Thank You all for Your advises. Before looking the details of all posts thanks!

Mike; thanks for the pictures!

Bruce: the link is just fine!

Here is another picture of some tube replacement within these 44 years of this car.

File%2015.7.2016%2021.25.34.jpeg

I guess I try to put this carb either back to original form or at least to a tidier shape. Will be back when the project continues. Cruising weathers are back in Finland!

Might ease in getting the whole picture of this issue if I´ll take some live camera picture to Youtube - I´ll do that probably later on this week.

Thanks again,

Anssi

That last picture is what I was thinking of. The T not hooked up goes to the pcv connection on the charcoal canister. Looks like someone capped it to bypass the canister for some reason.