Better (faster) blower motor?

Jared Richey

Does anyone offer a stock replacement AC blower motor that is a harder faster blower than the original?

I mean the stock ones are okay but I think to get the most out of the AC a faster blower would be even better...more like vintage air or a modern car. Especially here in the south with high humidity.

Hey Jared,

I have always wondered the same thing.  I do not know of any.  However, when I had the dash apart on my El Camino, I took everything apart and washed and cleaned all of the passage ways and with a stock blower motor it moves air much better than my other cars.  Is there an easy way to see if yours might have some blockages especially in the box that mounts on the firewall?  Maybe that will help.

Also, some years ago I found out that the little door that opens and closes when you go from AC to Heat was not closing or opening all of the way.  That will cause air to escape and never get to the vents.

Just some thoughts.

Mike

I had been looking at a company called restomod air...they claim to have the best aftermarket ac system out...worth checking them out...

OK, Not much on typing. If you put a faster rpm motor it will make things worst because it wont push the air (Velocity)through the evap or heater core & cause a back up called Tornado effect. Because the pitch of the wheel blades are set for a max rpm. Best thing you can do is make sure everything is Clean, seal all doors & registers with new foam & seal all joints of tubing/duct work with aluminum tape & insulate were you can.

Not sure about the faster motor theory mentioned above but there was a thread that talked about the availability of a DIFFERENT fan for A/C cars versus non A/C cars. I need to check my parts manual again but it seems to me I looked for different part numbers for the A/C versus Non A/C fans. I think my manual showed one number for the fan for both applications. Going to look again and report back when I get home. I spoke to a guy who redid his underhood hardware to accept a larger fan, larger depth NOT larger diameter. He claimed it worked very well, great improvement in his seat of the pants perception of the perf of the system. That said the mods to the housing required fiberglass and sheet metal mods that did not visually appeal to my eye. If it worked it was not visually appealing to my eye. 

I also would like a stronger air flow...be it from a faster motor (if that would work) or from a stronger fan. Todays A/C equipped cars can blow you right out of the seat with the fan on high. That makes you experience the cool air differently than when the air is moving slowly. Try setting the fan on low and drive along on a hot day. Then push the fan speed up to max. I will "seem" that the A/D is working better but in reality the A/C (from a refrigerator perspective) is working just as it was before you changed the fan speed.

The by pass door tip is a very good one. Depending on the position of that door you will see differences in the flow of cool air. I recommend checking the door by taking off the A/C distribution  "manifold" that is just behind the radio. Two screws remove that plastic duct from the heater core mounting box. Once you do that it is easy to see what that door is doing. If it is partially closed, or partially open depending on how you look at it, you are giving away air flow that you certainly want in a max A/C situation.