engine upgrade help

tonym0828

Hey guys, I have put Edelbrook performer intake and carb and headers on my 72 350. am adding a set of ported and polished #186 2.02 heads and am looking at a crane energizer cam 270/270/ 454/454  and would like some opinions. Don't want to do bottom end and want to keep good vacuum. Is this going to work out .

Thanks for any help

TonyM0828

Could you also add what trans and rear axle gear you are running or plan to change to.

It may help others reply having more details.

I don't have an opinion on what you are doing, but believe you will get more total "feel" good power from an overdrive trans and higher rear gear.

Bruce

depends on the size of your current combustion chambers vs. the size of the combustion chambers of the replacement heads

your engine came with a steel shim head gasket and just by changing to a newer MLS gasket will cost you some compression, so if the new heads have even bigger combustion chambers, you would lose more compression so all the money you are putting into it isn't going to really gain you anything\

you need to know all the little details so you can build a good "COMBINATION" that works together

Years ago when I rebuilt the 350 in my 71 Monte had it bored .30 over (355). I went with a 270 comp cam. Edlebrook  performer intake. I also went with hooker headers and a Holley 750 equal bore carb. Forged aluminum flat top pistons. I had a pair of camel hump heads (461 casting number) which is about a 64cc head and 194 valves. So I was at about  10:1 compression.  I had a 350 transmission with a shift kit. The torque converter was a little larger than standard. I went with 355 gears. I tuned it  (carb and timing) with a vacuum gauge. It ran just fine on pump gas. No problems with vacuum.

Just as a side note...About 8 years ago I built a 383 for it. I like the original rebuild (355) better.  Just my 2 cents worth :D  

Dale

Thanks Dale that helps alot. been checking a bunch of forums and it seems the Th 350 should not be a problem. It was rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago. I don't drive daily and just wat a little more power and alittle better sound for the local shows. Thanks again or good info.