4spd console mounting bracket

V8Freak

So putting my car together, was originally a bench with automatic. It is now buckets and console with 4spd manual. I have learned that the console on the automatic donor car mounted to the gear shifter, I see in the assembly manual that for a manual car there is a special bracket for it to bolt to towards the front. Could anyone tell me if you can buy this part?

There's also another fairly big bracket at the front according to the assembly manual. Looks like it bolts to the hump. In the automatic picture it doesn't have it because it looks like it bolts/screws to the horse shoe gear shifter assembly but since 4 spd doesn't have that I guess this bracket is what replaces it. My console is from an auto so the bracket was not there

If you are converting from a bench seat with automatic to a bucket seat/console with 4-speed you will first need to weld in a rear console mounting bracket which is available from the Parts Place Inc as p/n CP5103C for $24. 

If you are looking at page 529 of the GM Assembly Manual, the "bracket" you are referring to is probably either the base of the horseshoe shifter for an automatic or the partial image of a 4-speed shifter but not an alternate bracket.  I have a factory 4-speed with console and there is only the rear bracket. The front mounts with sheet metal screws directly to the transmission tunnel and there is no middle mount as there is on the automatic horseshoe shifter (see photos below).

Bottom line: After locating and welding in the rear console bracket, you can install your console using just the two front and two rear screws.  

Here you can see the rear bracket and the front two mounting screw holes way up on the transmission tunnel:

P1130110.jpg

One of the two front mounting screws is showing where the two front mounting holes are located.

P1130115.jpg

Here is a close-up of the rear mounting bracket you need to buy and weld onto the driveshaft tunnel.

P1130112.jpg

The "bracket assembly" you see in the Assembly Manual is actually the base of the automatic horseshoe shifter.

IMG_3413_zps2sottsta.jpg

You can see the middle console mounting holes in the riser pad just in front of the horseshoe shifter.  You won't use those middle holes to mount your console with a 4-speed.  Good luck.

I recently installed console in my 4 speed. There are only two places it is mounted. Four hex head drill screws I believe they are #12x3/4 or 1"long or #14 x 3/4 or 1" long. Two go inside console door to the bracket in the rear and two are at front of the console. I think I used the 1" long screws.

John S

Thank you sir! Yes I have welded the rear bracket in. And yes I was I guess referring to the middle piece, in the assembly manual in shows the gear shifter in the automatic section but in the manual section it still seems to show some sort of bracket for the centre to take the automatic shifters place I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture tonight but I'm good with not needing to worry about it haha

I love the look of your fresh big block and the mid-length headers required for a BBC with 4-speed.  Are those headers Patroit 8012 or 8013 per chance?

If your talking about mine they are Hedman hedders, they were the 4th set I ordered, I tried long but hit crossmember and a few others had very poorly made flanges. Hedman had a nice ceramic shorty for a bbc and that's what I went with very good brand!

That's the shifter itself

I agree, that is an automatic shifter bracket.

Look closely at that drawing compared to the shape of the base plate of the automatic horseshoe shifter and you can see they are very similar.  The drawing calls that part a "bracket assembly" because the actual mounting location for the middle two holes of a console is on a small riser bracket welded to the base plate of the shifter (as seen in the photo below).

IMG_3413_zps2sottsta.jpg

On that page out of the manual read what it says where the arrows point to the bracket. Those are automatic transmission codes. Nest to the manual shifter are the manual transmission codes. that is a dual purpose diagram.