Best 12 Bolt Posi Rear End for Cheap?

My car has the one-leg rear with a 2. something gear. I am installing an engine with 440lbs of torque and would like some opinions on the most cost effective approach to a solid 12 bolt posi rear with 3.73 gears or similar. The car will be mostly street driven, with the chance of a drag race here and there...Any info would be appreciated smile

On a side note - Just how big is the drive shaft in the Monte Carlo?? Looks to be about 6" in diameter. shocked . Any upgrade options there?

Hey Scott

I just put a Moser 12bolt in mine with 3:42 gears good pick up but I can still do 75 or 80 on the highway and this is with only a mild engine with you 400 hp 3:73 will make it a ground pounder but it will rev kinda high on the high way But the Moser is rated for 750 + hp with pressed bearings not c clips Any way it bullet proof. Hope that help Man. Jjs

On a side note - Just how big is the drive shaft in the Monte Carlo?? Looks to be about 6" in diameter. shocked . Any upgrade options there?

Without me putting a gauge on it I would say it is roughly just over 3" at the widest part.

I would go no steeper than a 3.73 gear but would suggest possibly a 3.42 gear...then again I shouldn't suggest anything without knowing your tire height.

Judge - How much $$ for that bulletproof rear end? Is there an option to install a posi/gears/axles in the existing housing? I can't spend a ton of cash, but need good strength. Is it possible?

502ci - I have 26" tires (275/50/15)...I should probably go with 3.42s as not to turn 4000rpm at 75mph with the 3.73s and 3-speed TH350 shocked (joking)!

And I swear the driveshaft in this beast is 5-6" in diameter. It looks like a truck driveshaft...Much bigger than the 3" driveshaft on my Camaro whistle

you should be ok with the stock drive shaft, you should go with stronger then stock u-joints though, I'm running 3:31 gears and love it, just right for a little racing and some good road cruizing.

Orange, I personally would go with an Eaton series 3 carrier with between a 3.31 to 3.55 gear. The Eaton carrier will run about $450. New gears about $150-$200(you can use a used set if they are not damaged). If you need new axles, your looking at about $225-$250. Of course you will need to install new wheel bearings and seals. You will also need the installation kit for all other bearings. For all rear end parts, I like Randy's Ring and Pinion 1-800-347-1188 or ringpinion.com. I am with 72yellowmc, I like the 3.31 gear but I don't think they sell them new anymore. It is best to have someone install them that knows what they are doing. If you want to try yourself, get an old rear housing and mock it up to specs to see if you can install the unit in your car's rear. I have a rear housing with no axle tubes specifically for this purpose. Hope this helps and good luck. - Dave

One last thing, ask for the solid steel clutches, DO NOT use the clutches that look like daisy wheels. They are crap. Randy's is one of a very few that still makes the solid steel GM type clutches.

One last thing, ask for the solid steel clutches, DO NOT use the clutches that look like daisy wheels. They are crap. Randy's is one of a very few that still makes the solid steel GM type clutches.

Good advice!!!! 72MC

I purchased an Eaton limited slip for $350 new on ebay. I am very happy and also installed 3.55 gears. I should get my car back today or monday from having a 2004R installed. Transmission and installation for less than $800 from a friend.

I'm not looking to do the rear end myself. That's one area that I will leave to the pros. So, I'm looking at ~$1,000 for parts + labor? Damn...I just spent ~$5,000 on the new engine, tranny & exhaust. I guess I should do it right if I'm going to do it at all, right?

Hey Scott

Im in Vancouver Canada and it cost me $3500 to get the Moser here and and $1100 to get an entire suspension put in front and rear and the diff all top notch pro work.The diff came with 30 spline axles Eaton posi and 3:42 pro gears, The diff was absolutely complete also I got a new drive shaft with stronger U joints.

Your in the states the diff should be about 2500 to 2900 and install should be 300to 400 good luck man ...... And yes do it right if your gonna do it.