Lead Additive

mikeringland

I have an essentially bone stock 350 4bbl in my '72. My question is should I put in a bottle of lead additive/substitute from time to time? I've read that engines 1972 and earlier should have lead in the fuel to help lubricate the valve seats and guides. Is it worth the few bucks here and there or does it really not matter?

I also have a stock 72 350. I just put some lucas fuel stabilizer, seafoam or marvel mystery oil in every other tank or so and have never had a problem. When I bought it the trunk was full of unopened led additive bottles that the previous owner used. I used them up and switched to seafoam and lucas and it actually runs tons better now then it ever did

Mostly stock 350 in mine also, I've just been putting any fuel in my car for about 12 years, only additive has been stabilizer in the winters, other than that, it runs just fine on basic 87 octane gas. I can't answer anything about the valve seats and all, but I have had no issues at all

I have heard the same thing about the valve seats. The lead in the old gas coated the valve seats to help prevent valves from tapping.

rob