How much HP and TORQUE for 350Turbo

Guest Jeff 72

Guest Jeff 72

How much can a stock 350 turbo take with a mild shift kit? I'm not looking to drag race, but get good launches from the stoplight. I am going to run a TCI break-away converter. Motor is going to make around 375 to 400 hp. Torgue will be around 400 also.

Guest 72yellowmc

No..... you should be fine. I've had mine for years and I've done a lot of drag racing over the years, but only legal drag racing.... whistle

You'll be fine. Especially on street tires. They will slip before you have any transmission problems unless your tranny is on it's last leg already!

I also have run a 350 behind my 454. I usually rebuilt it every 3-5 years, just to be sure, and they have always looked perfect inside with the exception of one sprag race that I'd broken. I would estimate my hp around 450 and torque around 550

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know about stock TH350s but B & M said our 377hp 385trq motor was too much for their TH350, we went through a few of them. I don't remember what was wrong with the first it was actually DOA, but the second one they gave us we broke the second gear spag in less than a week. Then the 3rd one we upgraded to a TH400...and it was DOA!

Lesson learned>>>DON'T BUY B&M TRANSMISSIONS!

Jaylene

Interesting. That is the weak spot though! If you put a 350 back in it, get a hardened intermediate race at least, or you can get a 36 element sprag/drum assy from somebody like ATI. I think it costs around $250 and dramatically increases the strength of the tranny. How'd the rest of the transmission look? I still run the stock roller clutch, but a hardened race. I have broken one of the hardened races too though.

Yea, this will be the 36 eliment sprag, like the heavy duty TH400 piece. The transmission is still together, but there isn't much doubt about what went wrong. This was a customer's '70 Chevy truck with a 383. I built the rear end, not the transmission. I was test driving it when it broke. This isn't the first time that this has happened to me. I work on the rear end and then break the transmission. At least the rear end is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Weakest link will break every time. can't tell you how many times fixing rear gears (Clutches carriers etc.) and wham ! out goes the tranny.Customer doesn't realize when this happens its just the weakest link syndrome.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a T350 behind my big block for about 2 months before it went on me. Ended up striping/cracking the spline on the cluch hub were the input shaft goes in. Love the T350's but they have limitations.