Drive shaft HP limit

Reaper

Everyone always worries about the rear end and transmission and no mind really gets paid to the driveshaft that I have noticed... Does anyone know how much abuse a stock drive shaft can take? What kind of material is the next step above stock? thanks, Tom

Good thing you haven't put slicks on it yet, I know you were worried about your stock axles...I didn't know you were still using stock U-joints crazy.

You are at that level where you need to upgrade to larger U-joints, I have 1350 series (stock is 1310). I myself have gone overkill on my driveshaft and installed a 3 1/2" aluminum one from Moser.

I am not sure how much hp a stock driveshaft can actually take, at the very least install a driveshaft safety loop so that the damage is contained when it snaps... wink

I've been told by a local driveshaft guy when I had mine shortened that it should be good to around 500 hp or so. But, I think Bill's right, you need a safety loop with how much power your car has, and I'd get some good u-joints at least!

I have a loop in the garage... Just dont have the motivation to put it on yet... I want to drive it as much as possible before winter gets here... When winter does come I have a lot of work to do....