700r4 swap coming up!!!

kc8oye

welp.. I stopped in at the local trans shop (Across the street) and inquired about having a 700r4 built for a 400hp small block... $600 I was floored at how cheap it was (no R&R labor tho) so I just gotta find a good core to get to them... :>

i think it won't be until after christmas as funds are stretched a bit right now... but when I get those 3.55's in.. I think I'll appreciate the overdrive :>

That's kinda what prompted me to make the swap.. not that turning 3200 rpm @ 70mph is terrible.. but why do 3200 when I can do 1700? :>

not that turning 3200 rpm @ 70mph is terrible.. but why do 3200 when I can do 1700? :>

The 700r4 has a .70 overdrive so you would actually be turning 2240 rpm's not 1700.

Also you want to go to a 3.55 gear, I'm assuming you are currently running one lower so than that 2240 rpm's will get even higher...still any overdrive is worth it in the long run... wink

Bill

I just guessed at the #'s 502... I WILL be running 3200 @ 70 with the 3.55's.. at least I think that's what I calcuated. I run about 2400 right now with the TH350c locked up in 3rd gear with 2.73:1 axle and whatever size tires lol.

i want to say they are 225/60-15's but I might be wrong.

That's interesting as I have 4.10 gears and 28" tires and only spin at 2,400 rpms at 65 mph with the convertor locked up. If you are going to have 400hp at the crank a stock 700r4 will not last long. The stock parts are very weak. If your local tranny shop is up on the latest high strength parts for a 700r4 and they are going to use them I'd let them do it, but if not I'd look somewhere else. High power handling 700r4 transmissions cost a lot more than a stock turbo 350/400.

That's interesting as I have 4.10 gears and 28" tires and only spin at 2,400 rpms at 65 mph with the convertor locked up.

Do you have a 4L80E tranny?

That would be the only way you could be spinning that rpm with a 4.10 gear. Taking in to account this tranny has a .75 overdrive and calculates perfectly with the numbers you stated. Now if you don't and have only a 3 speed auto with no overdrive you should be turning like 3200 rpm's at 65.

Bill