Shift Indicator

70bowtie

Just got my 70 Monte and its a original bucket console car but on the dash it has the shift indicator and it works when you change the console shift. Is this original you think. The car came with a load of papers (receipts) right back to when it went in service including POP plate and there is no indication that it was changed. If I was going to the trouble of changing the speedo I wouldn't hook up the shift indicator on the dash. What do you make of this. The car was built in Flint and sold in Canada and I have the GM docs which shows the options like power windows/trunk, aux light package/w/washer monitor.

Leo

Guest ADGTRUNKLID

Sounds stock, does part of you steering column move when you shift gears? That would tug on a small cable that is attached underneath of the column which in turn changes the gear indicator.

I think thats what it's doing. It moves to the correct gear on the dash as it does on the console shifter. I'll have to check it out more, probably take the dash out and clean it up anyway. Just got the car so I'm finding differnt things out.

Leo

If you post the info from you data plate we can decode it to see what interior was installed at the factory. I've never seen a 68-72 gm A-body with dual shift indication. The seat code should tell the story. Good luck with your new monte!

I got the documents from Canada GM VIntage and the options says black cloth buckets and console. The cowl tag also notes buckets. I wonder if any early cars ended up that way. I know the gauge housing was repaired in 1995 by the headlight switch because there was a lange speaker put in on that side and broke the housing, unless the speedo went and that's what it was replace with, seem like a lot of trouble to do that I,m sure a correct one must have been easier to find in the early 90's or 80's.

D55 is the RPO code for front compartment console . Bucket seats can be with or without console and floorshift.

From the factory, part of the steering column will rotate from the backdrive linkage on the floor shift option . This is for the ignition key /steering wheel lock to prevent shifter movment. I would think it unusuall for the dash to have the shift indicator and a console shift.

Just a thought? Dose the column have the space on the side for the column shift knob if so the console was put in after. IF NOT then what a cool option that would be. To have the column linkage still intact AND the console linkage that moved both faces. I think I like that! Although someone could still have changed the column still hooked up the pulley wire and kept the linkage after the swap it should work fine it think. Jjs

The came with console, that option is on the sheet from GM and the column has no provision for the shifter on it. Got to look in to it more. Unless someone wanted to have that and put it in after. I might try to track down the first to owners as I said I have receipts for everything else done to the car. Thanks

I assume you then have TWO shift indicators, one in the speedometer head and one next to the floor shifter. That is so cool, perhaps early production Montes were made this way then later, to save money, Chevy pulled it out. Be careful with the cable that is attached to the steering column that moves the speedo shift indicator, they break easy.

Bruce

Bruce thats what I got, the car came with options A51 & D55, I thought it was strange the car hasn't been on the road since 98 so I guess there is no way to know if its original unless I can contact the 2nd owner he had the car for 18ys and purchase it it 1973. As for being an early 70 build the last number on the ser# are 33645. Thanks for the input.

Leo