Changing fluid??

7tonemonte

As you all know, my car had been out of comission for almost 3 years with me, and the last inspection on it was 1990, so I can only assume its been sitting quite a while. I want to change the trans filter and fluid, and the rear fluid. Has anyone here done that power purge thing on the trans where they clean out the fluid in the converter too? I am not big on letting anyone else touch the Monte at this point, but I wasnt sure if I should go ahead and do this, or just change what is in the trans and filter and drive it. What is in there now does not smell burnt at all, and the drivetrain has 75000 miles on it, it shifts fine also, this is just for preventative maintenence pretty much.

Also, how many quarts will I need for it if I just change the fluid and filter? Its a TH350 in it, also a 10 bolt non posi rear, what fluid is recommended there?

Thanks in advance!

We do all of our trans flushes with the machine. It does a 1:1 flush of the fluid. But personally what I would do is both since it has been sitting so long. I'd change the filter and gasket, then have it power flushed to replace all the fluid. You can drop the pan and change the filter yourself, not a big deal. Put the pan gasket back on without any sealer or RTV. It will take about 4 quarts to refill. Doing the power flush will take between 9 and 11 quarts. That way all the fluid and debris should be removed.

The diff holds about 1 1/2 quarts of 90w GL-5 gear lube. Just remove the cover, clean up, and refill to the bottom of the hole. We also use a vacuum tank to remove the diff fluid without removing the cover.

You could always bring your car to my place. I'll change the trans filter and fluid and the rear diff fluid, while you paint my firewall and inner fenders! lol