Protouring build

Guest ProMC

I have been looking through the forums for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for pics and ideas on a Protouring style car. I just bought a 72 Monte. I have owned and built my fare share of pro street and race cars, but I want something fun to drive. I want to keep the stock frame, but it looks like I will have to back half and install mini tubbs to get any tire under it. Looking to put a 335 or 345 on 18 or 20x12 wheels. Will most likely use Global West arms and Varishock coilover in front unless someone has better ideas. I have plenty of big motor stuff to use for now but really want to run a twin turbo small block. I've read all the bad things about the fiberglass body panels available but I have to get some weight off the car, somehow. Any pics and ideas are greatly appreciated. I want this car to be one of the nicest ever built but want to buy the right stuff the first time. Thanks

promc welcome to the site, i did my on the g-manchine build went up 1 size on the rims put the same size tires front and back dropped it about an inch lower then stock. it rides nice and smooth and cant tell when u hit a pot hole and handles pretty good. there is a company that makes 68-72 chevelle frames im sure u could make them fit a monte by addin some to the frame.

My ultimate Pro Touring powertrain would be a 11:1 forged shortblock based on the new LSX block b/s out to a 454 and set it up with a LS2 factory fuel injection system. It would have a F.A.S.T. intake, monster size throttle body, RHS stage 3 heads, the correct Comp Cams cam and valvetrain set up, 1 3/4 full length headers, 3" Torque Tech exhaust, and have it tuned by someone who is an expert in tuning Gen III small blocks. I'd mate that engine to a basically stock 4L80E tranny with a hardened input shaft, stage two Transgo shift kit, and the correct stall Yank torque convertor. Then would come a custom driveshaft with heavy duty one ton pickup Spicer u-joints and forged yokes in both the tranny and the pinion. The rearend setup depends on what you are looking for, but for a touring car that will see almost all street time I'd stick with 3.73:1 rear gears even with the overdrive(gas milage). You set something like this up right there is no reason why you can't get over 500hp to the wheels with massive torque and still get over 20mpg. I will build a car this way one day soon. I'd love to see a FGMC on the Power Tour set up like this. Muscle Car styling meets modern technology, power, and drivability. Simply awesome.