New exhaust and video

1972mc

I've got pics of exhaust upgrade on my frame off resto. Sounds really great. It is Hedman coated headers, x-pipe, dynomax ultraflo's, and flowmaster 2 1/2 inch pipes. I am going with turn down non chrome extensions that will tuck under trunk. I'll wait till I get the body on the car to cut and adjust the tips.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/carl1972monte

Looks nice...thumbs_up.gif

You mention in that link they are kinda quiet...an X-pipe will tone a system down. Glad to see you went that extra step and put your clamps with the bolts and nuts hidden upwards... wink

Bill

2918129_28_full.jpg

11/16/07 6;45 PM est

Here is the latest update...I guess I know a lot less about engines, fuel, spark, timing etc... than I thought. FYI-The engine is a blueprint engines 383 stroker 405hp/440ft w/ iron vortec heads. I could tell the engine was running a little rough so I bumped up the curb idle screw to keep it running. I had not timed the engine last night when you heard the video. I also hooked up the vac advance as this helped keep engine running smoother. When I ran in the cam, I did not have vac advance hooked up and had to keep throttle up to keep engine running, but engine was supposed to be running 1500-2500 rpm anyway. (don't have a test tachometer either).

I called Blueprint engines today and they told me something no one ever told me or was not written in any literature-they said to never hookup vac advance or you'll detonate your engine and void your warranty. They said to set timing at 13-16 BTDC and total timing at 34 BTDC at 4000 rpm (i kind of zoned out on this part because I do not have the adjustable timing light neede for this.)

Anyway, when I came back tonight to set timing, I disconnected vac advance and set to 14 BTDC. Remember I've got the idle set up high to keep engine running. I could not get the timing to stay in one place. Every time I set to appx 14 I would then drop the rpm to try and get to 800 rpm (by ear)and then timing would drop. I became a game of adjust one then the other. finally I just set timng at 14 and left it. Well then the worst thing happened. I was running my gas can out of gas and did not realize it but I believe I was leaning the engine out and over heated my brand new coated headers. Of course, coating dulled on some cylinders-5,4,6,8. I am so pissed I could scream. I hope I have not done any damage to my engine.

Now of course I'm scared to start it up again.

Just needed to vent!!!

Carl

That is a beautiful looking project base there!

You'll probably have to get that idle down to around 800-1000 rpm or so before the timing will be stable. You're mech advance was already starting to kick in at that higher rpm which is the problem. Sorry about the headers! Hopefully they can be brought back to normlal with a little polish or something