496 big block info

Guest Rice Racing1

Guest Rice Racing1

The 496 stroker is ok it just wasn't right for Sam's deal.

The 496 doesn't have a good bore to stroke ratio. It has a tendency to run out of air above 6500 without a really good set of heads($$$$$$). It's mainly a low/mid range torque monster. Good for street cars with a red line around 6500. In a drag only set up where you need to spin 7000+ thru the gears and the traps it isn't the best.

The 4.25" stroke combined with a decent piston leaves you with a less than optimal connecting rod length. This factor when the rpms are pushed beyond 6500 drastically increases the thrust load on the pistons and cly walls. What you get is increased piston,ring and bore wear. I forgot to mention the increase in friction also.

The same change in air flow dynamics from the increased stroke that make the 496 responsive and torquey down low are the same that ones that hurt it up top. By the time you add enough cam and cly head to make it breath up top you hurt the mid range and low end. It a catch 22 with that combo that makes it no better than a properly set up 4" stroke 454 for a full on drag engine.

If that makes sense. I am not saying a 496 can't be made to out perform a 454 in a drag set up, it just won't have the longevity in a 7000+ rpm drag deal it will loose ring seal sooner therefore losing power and requiring more frequent freshening.

All street or occasional strip its fine.

It's just not better for an all out combo. With a larger bore like a 4.5" there is more area for the thrust load to be spread so it has less effect wear wise. You still get more friction but its not as big a factor.

Swap up to a tall deck block and run a longer rod and your good to go with the 4.25" stroke.

Another thing to think about is how the bore size effects air flow realitive to a given cly head. If you look at the published flow #'s for a head say a Dart 215 for a SB, the #'s will be based on a 4.155" bore adapter on the bench. If you are working with a 4.030" bore you won't get as much air flow from the same head and even worse is the fact you lose draw on the intake port and that kills low and midrange torque production as a result. With the proper set up a 355 can run a good 200cc runner without a problem. Swap a higher,on paper, flowing like a 215 runner dart on the same engine and you will lose performance badly.

The same thing happens with BB's as well. A proper combo has to take all things into account for the package to work its best.

Don

I dunno.. after a ride in a monte with an 800hp 496... they'll move :>

I had the knot on the back of my head from the headrest to prove it lol

Guest Rice Racing1
I dunno.. after a ride in a monte with an 800hp 496... they'll move :>

I had the knot on the back of my head from the headrest to prove it lol

Tim go back and reread the entire second paragraph of the original post. You will see you have once again missed the point and made your response seem condescending.

The only way to get an honest 800Hp from a 496 is on race gas, high compression and turning it more than 7500 rpms or use a power adder. If this was a pump gas deal, it wasn't making anywhwere close to 800hp.

Don

Guest Rice Racing1
700 +- 7200-7800 rpm race fuel , just my cheap junk all set up wrong , and i am a dumbass, but all in fun , and street driven

Leo

Not at all Leo, Your post goes prove out what I was saying about the 496 combo. To go over an honest 700hp it takes race fuel,higher compression and more rpm to make the HP. That with the short rod 4.25" stroke in a small bore is what leads to quicker ring/bore wear.

I never said it couldn't be made to produce the power, mearly that it wears itself out quicker than a big bore 540 with the same 4.25" stroke will.

Don

I agree ,the 540 Is the best set-up.tons of torque,high hp and longevity.I'm still thinking about a 496 blown for the "farm" truck though.427 right now,not bad on the street.Like the 4.25" stroke for the 496,little better pull in second gear.

see here we are again, I didn't mean to say a 496 wasn't able to run, I was remembering that it wasn't beneficial for my set-up

remember...Don and my goal for my 454 is 750hp by 6500 rpm, a 496 wasn't an advantage, more of a drawback, and this is a "RACE" engine not a street engine