GM serpentine kit

Ian

I was looking through the Summit catalog tonight and found this.

nal-12498733_w.jpg

I was thinking it might be an alternative to a March setup. It comes with everything including the A/C compressor. Only thing that worries me is the hight of the A/C compressor...

Thoughts?

Ian

Hmm I see that now... Well I threw a alt belt yesterday with the wide steel mounts that are on there right now (came with my aftermarket A/C kit) and have started looking at my options. I have emailed March to see what they come up with. I want to keep the A/C on the passengers side, and the alt on the Drivers...

Thanks,

Ian

I used the same kit on a 1979 Malibu with a 406 SB. The only issue you will have is making new ac hoses. The compressor is on the wrong side. When I test/tuned the car at the track, I routinely shifted the car at 7,000 and never had an issue with the serpentine. It is a nice kit, and if you got the time, the aluminum brackets polish up very nicely.

Here is a fun fact. With GM 4.30s in the rear and my 26/10.5 Mickey Thompson ETs, shifting at 7k, 12.30@112.

Customer ghettos it out with 26's, 14.2@106.

Love the Ghetto Boys.

Andy

Will do. Like I said I just wonder if the A/C will clear the hood. I have a Saden 508 compressor on there now, and it would mean new lines. I am hoping I can do one of the March setups, but they only list full kits with new A/C compressors and what not. I may go see that the Chevelle guys have to say.. frown

Ian

Well after reading on the Chevelle board for a while, I have found a picture of it mounted to a 572 in a Chevelle. Now the tricky part is that there are a few that are running it and having trouble with the PS pump hitting the steering box. Some have used a remote tank, some have put a shim under the motor mount on that side, and some have just dented the tank a little. Here is the picture, it looks like there is a pipe off the water neck to take care of the upper hose issue. I am still searching for more details. smile

04.jpg

Ian

Well I just got a PM from the guy with the same kit on a 70 MC and he said he had to modify the PS pump bracket and that if he was to do it all over he would not do it again. Hmm now what to do. I have a email into March, so I guess I will have to wait and see. I am going to see if there is any other pump you can use in the same location, and or a different steering box as I need a new one of them too. frown

Ian

With the serpentine setup, it requires a reverse flow water pump that also requires a different fan if not using an electric fan. With the pump/fan turning the opposite direction the fan would be attempting to blow the air forward through the radiator.

You know I was thinking the same thing Allen, can you use a stock pump with the 2 different ones that are out there? I was looking at Unisteer and they sell it without the pump, but say it is designed to work with their pump. I still may just get it and modify it it. It comes with all new accessories and what not. For the fan and clutch you can get a reverse rotation set for any 90's truck... The other thing to look for is a aftermarket pump for a 90's truck that uses the stock mounting system, as this is what the system is modeled after, I think...

Ian

I hear you on the 35 year old pump, but the kit comes with a new on so that would not be an issue, I guess we could email UniSteer and find out.

I had mine out today to take my daughter to get her new glasses, it was a nice little trip. Got some surface street and some highway time. I am going to drive it to work this week and try to feel out what my next upgrades / repairs are going to be. All this time off has gotten me thinking smile I have spent way too much time reading up on all the upgrades that others have done, and what will work and what wont that my head is spinning frown

Ian