The scoop on hood scoops...

stickshift

I have a 6 inch cowl hood on my 72 MC. I am thinking of going with something with a little more radical look. I like the aero pro stock style hood scoops. Most of them are pretty big though. The smallest one that i have seen is 7 inches high, which isn't too bad considering my cowl is 6 inches. What do you guys think? Is there a limit to how high a hood scoop can be on a street car?

Guest Evil Austin

Depending on state (NC I have no idea) most have laws that a certain percentage of the window must be clear or it is a fix it ticket for vision obstruction.

Best of luck,

EA

Depending on state (NC I have no idea) most have laws that a certain percentage of the window must be clear or it is a fix it ticket for vision obstruction.

I agree.

On the hood scoop idea there is or should I say was a fgmc near me that had a pro-stock scoop (smallest one they make) and I thought it looked awesome...funny thing though he had his car dynoed and only had 250 rear wheel hp (which isn't too bad) but he couldn't back the look up that he created with performance.

Bill

I haven't seen too many other than cowls, pro-stock, snorkel (yuck), one person I'm pretty sure had a GTO scoop on one.

We had a thread awhile back (I can not locate it for the life of me) where Scott/Heckeng photo-shopped a 442 hood on his monte...it looked pretty good.

Bill

If you drive your car on the street anything higher than 4" really reduces your field of vison. You will have serious blind spots. If you buy a 4" cowl hood make sure you get an iron clad warranty that alows you to take it out of the crate to check for flatness and get a full refund if it's warped. I'm speaking from experience here.

you prob can't find that picture cause we have to delete almost everything after a while

ask Scott if he still has it, that would make one cool hood, wouldn't give you anymore clearance but looks awesome cool

6" cowl and you want more!?!?!?

I only want a 2" cowl on mine smile

once I get the cowl scoop on, I want to cut a hole for the air cleaner, and add a carb and air cleaner spacer to push the air cleaner up into the cowl, and run the

K&N filter and Xtreme lid

My carb used to sit up inside of my cowl hood scoop when I ran a Holly Strip Dominator intake with a carb spacer. I now have a Dart intake and its not as tall as the Stip Dominator but the carb (Holley 650 double pumper) still gets to benefit from the cold air due to a Hilborn air breather that sits into the cowl scoop.I just think that it will look awsome when you look through the front of the Aero scoop and see the Hilborn breather.