Tire ????

NazztyMonte

A buddy of mine is selling to Hoosier quick time tires. They are like new but they were drilled. There are 5 screws from the side of the rim going into the tires. He said it would be a problem as long as I use bead sealer. Has anyone heard or used this bead sealer ? Can anyone recomend what i should do ? Buy them or walk away ?

Which Quick Time tire is it...is it the one on the left or right in the picture below? The one on the right is a Quick Time Pro DOT and the one on the left is a Quick Time (drag) DOT.

Both require a tube but I have heard people running them both without a tube, which I would not do. Like Scott said when running a tube there is no real reason to need a sealant. Are you planning on using these for the race track or all the time on the street...don't forget you should not mix these tires with radials on the front...car will feel loose and sloppy going down the street if you do.

Bill

hoo-17110.jpghoo-17-5.jpg

Hey Phil,

I run Hoosier QTP without tubes but only air them down to 16 psi at the track. I know Hoosier states that ya ought to run tubes but there are lots of people that run 10's without tubes. I don'tmake enough h/p to spin the tires on the rim. One of the advantages of running tubes is that it will stiffen the sidewall and make the car more stable at the big end and they will not leak down when the car sits for extended periods of time.But... tubes do add weight and you will probably want to run rim screws so if ya make good h/p ya won't rip the tube at the stem.

Now back to your original question. I don't think that they would leak. Before you mount them mix up some water and dish washing soap and coat the inside of the tire and let it dry this will help the tire to hold air.

David

yeah i don't use tubes either... and i run radials on the front and have no problem with it, it runs nice and straight...

I'll admit I am guilty of it also (in the past)...I've even run slicks on the car with radials on front all the way to the race track (recently)... blush

NazztyMonte, if you are gonna use tubes with them I do suggest you use screws, like it was said above if the tire slips on the rim the tube will stretch at the valve stem or internally and it will burst.

Unfortunately I did not screw mine at first hoping I would not need to. I marked the tire with a white pen in line with the valve stem on the rim...after 3 runs at the track my tire moved 3/4" to an 1"... eek...had to stop racing.

Now I had to remove the tire and drill the holes for the screws when it could have been done originally before they were mounted... frown

Bill

Thanks Guys,

Bill, It is the tire on top of the two photos.

David,I might just go with the tubes to be safe. I think if I dont use the tubes it could leak.

I dont intend on running it at the track at all.

Bill,

On other thing. You were saying dont mix with regualr radials. Right now there are BFG's on front. Your saying I should replace them with Hoosier fronts also ?

Thanks again,

Phil

David,

You think I could run them without tubes even though they were once drilled ? Im not going to the track , just street driving to car shows and stuff like that.

Phil

Bill, It is the tire on top of the two photos.

Phil, your screen must be displaying the pictures differently then mine as I am still not sure which tire...is it this one or the other one? smile

hoo-17110.jpg

Originally Posted By: NazztyMonte
Bill,

On other thing. You were saying dont mix with regualr radials. Right now there are BFG's on front. Your saying I should replace them with Hoosier fronts also ?

It's never suggested to mix the two types of tires...you will notice a feeling as though one of the 2 sets of tires are underinflated...at least that's what I always felt and heard others say the same thing.

My Dad has been doing it for years with his Grand National, Robyn mentioned above he has been doing it, and in the past I have driven that way...but....I think you won't like the feeling. Maybe give it a try before you purchase another set of tires.

Originally Posted By: NazztyMonte

You think I could run them without tubes even though they were once drilled ? Im not going to the track , just street driving to car shows and stuff like that.

One thing to point out...I have 12 screws in my rims holding the tire on each side...they really don't go too deep into the bead, just enough to grip it...they are not meant to go all the way through, but there is always that possibility.

Bill

Hey Phil,

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were talking about the QTP race ( which I run) I kinda mulled it over and thinking that it is possible that one of the screws could possibly broke through (was mentioned earlier) the bead. So to be safe I would run tubes and screws. If ya don't want to drill your rims ya might want to wait for another tire deal. Yes mixing bias ply and radials will feel different so be careful if you do this until ya get a feel for it. I've driven my car to the track numerous times with MT/ET streets and the Hoosiers and as long as I take it easy no problems. As for as the track I've had no handling issues but....... my car is slow!! lol

David

Ok, so not to keep this tread going but....lol....If I buy these tires off my buddy, I should use tubes and drill my rims for screws ?

If I buy brand new ones that were never drilled with screws , I could use just the tubes and not screw them ? Do I have this correct ?

Thanks again for all you guys time.

Ok, so not to keep this tread going but....lol....If I buy these tires off my buddy, I should use tubes and drill my rims for screws ?

If I buy brand new ones that were never drilled with screws , I could use just the tubes and not screw them ? Do I have this correct ?

Nothing wrong with keeping it going...keeps the site active... grin

To answer your first question, I "personally" would run tubes with those used tires in case there is a hole in the bead and given the fact they suggest it from the factory. But I don't see the need for the screws if you are not gonna be launching it hard at a race track...these tires will give you decent traction compared to a standard passenger tire but they will still spin a bit on the street as any performance tire will without a sticky track and a heated burnout. If they don't spin a bit at a traffic light romp then you are not making enough power to even worry about them slipping on the rim... wink

A simple "yes" to your second question if you decide on going that route.

Bill

Well, All in all it ended pretty good. I ended up getting them for $150 and they had tubes in them. I cant loose I guess.

More like you stole them...and the tubes are included, even better... smile

You never mentioned what size they are...hope they are not too big.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...