Fuel Pump/ line clearance question

Hueydigital

I noticed my fuel pump on my 71 350 was leaking so i got a edelbrock pump from summit,I haven't installed it yet because I'm not sure if I need the bottom feed plat. I looks like it's going to be a tight fit, I also got a new steel braided fuel line and i'm not sure what fittings I need. the pump is 3/8 inlet & outlet, the fuel line is 5/16, not sure what the -6 an means. Also the rubber fuel line going into the pump from the tank is in really bad shape, how hard is this to replace? size? length? fittings? any help would be great guys...

Cant help you with sizes of an fittings but I do know that most aftermarket pumps will be too big on our small blocks. I went w/the holley 12-327-11 110 mech pump on my small block and it fits perfectly. I just had to rotate the bottom 1/2 of the pump and it was a done deal...good luck..Al

You can see in the two pictures how I did my fuel lines. I cut the main line behind the front body mounts and ran the braided line through the frame. I installed a Holley fuel pump #12-834. The bottom also had to be turned. The inlet and outlet are 1/4" NPT fittings.

The fitting to go to the line was a compression type fitting, Russel part # RUS-639210. I bought a piece of #6 hose, 6' long. You'll have to figure out what fitting you will need for the 3/8" fittings. Make sure you get the lube and anti-seize for the fittings. I ordered my parts through Summit. If you have a question, they have a great tech line with a lot of help.

The inlet line on my fuel in the picture is so I can get my engine running on the rolling chassis. After it is broke-in, I'll put the body on the frame.

It's a lot easier to work with the braided steel line than I thought it would be.Good luck!

2457852_34.jpg

2457852_35.jpg

You can see in the two pictures how I did my fuel lines. I cut the main line behind the front body mounts and ran the braided line through the frame. I installed a Holley fuel pump #12-834. The bottom also had to be turned. The inlet and outlet are 1/4" NPT fittings.

The fitting to go to the line was a compression type fitting, Russel part # RUS-639210. I bought a piece of #6 hose, 6' long. You'll have to figure out what fitting you will need for the 3/8" fittings. Make sure you get the lube and anti-seize for the fittings. I ordered my parts through Summit. If you have a question, they have a great tech line with a lot of help.

The inlet line on my fuel in the picture is so I can get my engine running on the rolling chassis. After it is broke-in, I'll put the body on the frame.

It's a lot easier to work with the braided steel line than I thought it would be.Good luck!

2457852_34.jpg

2457852_35.jpg

Great stuff footballubet....thanks

follow up question to this...

i have a holley blue pump on mine with a regulator.. do i need to use the return or do i not need it now

You do not need it, I ran mine without one (dead head style) and so have many others...on a side note...people have said the pump will run quieter with a return line hooked up and also cooler...I haven't witnessed it so I'm going by what I heard.

Bill

my question is.. do you REALLY need the high-output pump?

I'm running around 300hp in my 350, and I'm using a 'stock' replacement pump with no problems.. in fact, I had to install a regulator because the pump had a habbit of generating around 10psi and flooding the carb.

(my last personal best was 14.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile, I expect to run high 13's this spring with the new carb)