Date code OK ?

71454SS

John, yes. The issue would be when the car was built. If the car was built prior to Feb, 71 then you have an issue. If it was after, you are fine. Generally people give a 6 month window for parts dates prior to car production, but I have seen original low mile cars with date codes exceeding 6 months prior to production. You just cannot have parts dates after the production date of the car. George

John,

If a date correct carb is necessary, the Feb 71 dated carb is not good for your production date. If you do have the build sheet, in the upper left corner box, it will give you the date of production and the production sequence # of your car. For my Monte it was produced on 12-11 (70)and the 16th produced that day. Just some fun info.

Thank you George, the car is a low milage (41,000) 71 SS, can't find a build sheet though. The carb isn't original , it's a Rochester rebuilt by Holly w/ no part #'s. Trying to keep it original, but things wear out.(ha-ha)Using Moog ball joints and tyrods as the price of GM ,if you can find it is very costly.

Unless you are trying for that 'perfect' concourse resto (in which case you problaby wouldn't be driving it anyway, except on/off the trailer) I don't really see using original GM parts as being a wise choice anyway, especially for the money part.

I drive the !@#$ out of my car, and have redone the whole front end with Moog/TRW parts and I love them. All made-in-USA stuff too!

George, any help on the correct date code Quadrajet will be great, it's in my plans for the car, thanks John. The car is what it is, not perfect but I think it should remain as original as possible and still be able to drive it.

• 3 weeks later...

An SS car is what it is - I believe if you have one that it is OK to keep it as original as possible with original parts where you can & that does not have to turn it into a trailer queen smile

It is all a matter of YOUR feelings for YOUR car.

We always try to replace things on my car with original parts when we can and we drive it & enjoy it. We just re-cored my original radiator for more than a new aluminum one would have cost but that was a choice we made & feel good about.

Always do what makes you feel good & you can't go wrong smile

• 3 weeks later...

Carb should be 7041200 I believe. Date coded within 6 months prior to build date of car. More important to fall between these specs than the date on Intake. Even hard core corvette guys give 3 months prior to build date of car for date correct.

If you are looking for a correct date coded carb this guy is who I got mine from. Great to deal with and used his recommendation for carb rebuild (Craigs Carb resto - now in FLA) and I have never seen a carb done so well.

Here is his number if you need to locate one.

Specialized Investments Mark: 830-560-1205

I have a CA built 70 SS454 (different carb than rest of ctry due to emission launch in CA only in 1970) Rest of ctry 7040200, I needed 7040500 (1970 Monte-CA-454 only....rare). He had three!!

He will likely have what your looking for or can steer you in the right direction as to who may have one.

Dan