Fiber glass hood insulation

mrsnstr

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen quite a few fiberglass monte hoods and never saw one with insulation...not that there is anything wrong with it by any means, I just never seen it.

Are you saying that your hood is getting so hot that it is messing up the paint?

I was amazed how cool my hood was to the touch even after racing it at the track...I was worried at first that it would get too hot.

Bill

I have painted the hood 4 times now and am tired of the bubbling and cracking. My body guy is tired of seeing me plus the paint color no longer matches. Im thinking I just sand it down black primer it and call it a day

Where is it bubbling and cracking? Are you sure your engine isn't just running too warm? What size is your engine? What does your cooling system consist of?

It can't just be the fiberglass hood because as Bill said there are plenty of guys running painted FG hoods. Plus when you think about it Corvettes are primarily fiberglass and have a much smaller engine compartment.

We just bought a FG hood with a 2" cowl and will be prepping and painting it in the next few weekends....so this is definitely a topic of interest. Anybody else have this problem?

FG hoods can have a lot of air pockets which will cause bubbles, mine had a few, cracking of the paint is possible too, esp if it's a lightweight race hood that flex's a lot, my next hood will be like Bill's, his is a composite not fiberglass