Horseshoe shifter

Archer

What is the arrangment for the shifter? My assembly manual doesn't show the detail. Does the shifter bolt directly to the bare floor pan with the three primary screws, or does it go over the carpet? Does the back of the shifter bolt to the bare floor and the front go over the carpet. Mine is not fitting very well and if I mock in the console it is about a 1.5" above the floor. I know the back of the console should be about an 1" above the tunnel, but doesnt the front screw directly to the tunnel? It just doesn't seem correct. I am sure a picture is worth a thousand words in this case.

Thank you

i believe my sits on top of the carpet and bolted though though the carpet and floor pan. as for the console it should bolt onto brackets which bolt to the floor. ill see if i can get a pic of my later today. also since u are goin with a 700r4 u will need to change the lens for the shifter and the plate on the shifter it self to show the over drive.

my carpeting was cut around the mounts, yes the front of the counsel bolts to the trans tunnel, if I remember correctly the counsel is to top of the shifter then bolted to the mount, I'll check my assem manual for you

set your shifter in place first, then set the counsel over it, line-up the rear mount for the counsel (under the compartment) then take a look at the mounting holes near the shifter, I can not look at mine cause it has been modified for my aftermarket shifter

just called Leo, bolt the shifter to the floor first, cut the carpet to go over the shifter, then set in the counsel, the counsel bolts the shifter mount

If you have a 700R4 and get the Lens etc. it runs around $80.00 but it comes with the required ratchet arrangement and all necessary hardware to connect it to the Xsmn. The only problem I had was with the new pattern, I couldn't properly adjust the netrual safety switch. It will now start with the shifter in OD and the backup light will light both in reverse and neutrial.

If you have a 700R4 and get the Lens etc. it runs around $80.00 but it comes with the required ratchet arrangement and all necessary hardware to connect it to the Xsmn. The only problem I had was with the new pattern, I couldn't properly adjust the netrual safety switch. It will now start with the shifter in OD and the backup light will light both in reverse and neutrial.

It should work because i believe the extra position was added between 1-2, and that the original drive position (TH400) is the OD (TH700R4) Therefore the NS position and Reverse should not have moved. Anyway I am sure a late 80s NS swutch would probably fit. If they were differnt at all.

Just FYI

This is what I am seeing. It makes sense only if the back of the Shifter sits in the sheet metal, and the front goes over the carpet. I am just seeking confirmation to make sure i have the sheet metal correct. My assembly manual shows nothing on the install of the carpet, and the shifter details are cutaway details that shown you the shifter sitting on the tranny.

picture207tc8.jpg

By aimn4u2, shot with KODAK DX3900 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-03-29

picture204ke9.jpg

By aimn4u2, shot with KODAK DX3900 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-03-29

Thanks for your help guys, and gals

If I remember correctly, mine is installed on top of the carpet. Do you have the bracket that goes under the rear portion of the shifter bracket? If you don't have it (mine was originally bench seats) you can purchase one.

This pic was originally just to reference my 71 as a factory bucket car, but you can see the rear bracket behind the piece of cardboard. There is no ther brackets on it. The middle console screws bolt to the shifter, and the front console bolts through the carpet.

07_07_07_216.sized.jpg

Thanks guys.

I know i needed the back bracket but my concern was how high the front was when everything was set in place on the shifter. It make sense only if part of the shifter in on the bare metal and the front is on the carpet. I think that is the conclusion. Damn i wish that little piece of card board was not covering the shifter screw holes I would have liked to get a visual reference. Oh well thank you for the pic.

its been almost two months since ive looked at by archer but i think the front of my console is on the carpet.

Not the console, the shifter. I am pretty sure the console would go on the carpet.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I have come to a conclusion with all your help.