b&m shift kit

dont mess with the junk b&m sells as a shift kit hard shifts (it actually slams it into gear) are not good for a tranny if you want a shift kit get a transgo kit it is a little more expensive but in the long run it is worth it it actually makes the tranny last longer by not letting the clutches slip as long between shifts

Well my friend bought one and accidently ordered the wrong one so he offered it to me for $20 and he said he would install it. You say it slams it into gear so i take it it does make it shift a little harder, or much harder? I wouldnt mind having a harder shifting tranny without breaking the bank

Green devil

i had the B&M some years back . yep it shifts hard .1-2 shift would get rubber if your into the pedal. i had that car/trans for 3yrs and no trans problems ,then used it in a p/u truck. THE PROBLEM i did have was the U-Joints didnt last long .

mike

hmm... I will definitely have to think about it. Problem is my u joints are already bad lol I will have to get those replaced especially if i plan on putting the shift kit in. Im a 17 year old with a high performance monte, how hard do you have to lay into that pedal? :P

Green

72 i'd say get some new quality U-Joints and go for the kit smile . for normal driving its just a nice solid bumb into 2nd gear. if you like the sound of a Q-Jet roaring as you accellerate then you will be chirping tires on 1-2 shifts. i'd say i probly had to change U-Joints 9months to a yr.i was about your age when i had that kit in my first Monte . i think you will enjoy it.heck my girlfriend ( now wife ) like the way it shifted more than i did . i dont want to discourage you,just let you know that U-Joints will take some faster aging . now they may have even better U-Joints than we had in the mid 70s.

Have fun were only here once smile

mike

I will defintetly get new u joints before i put the kit in, and whats this you say about a quadrajet?? ha! I'll stick with my Barry Grant Road Demon devil Or maybe I will just start saving and get a 700r4 and put a corvette servo and boost valve in

im getting excited already laugh I talked to a replaced about replacing my u joints so hopefully i get that done and have a hard shifting monte. Do you really have to get into that much?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I WAS currently installing my B&M shift kit, having done so many i've been showing my friends. Kinda teaching a class since i've got auto trans edu (more th350 then any other). Anyways with just STARTING to get into mech. they were able to not have one conflict. But do READ all of the instruction prior to installing. Its just about a couple hours worth of work, a tad more difficult on ur back but do-able. Esp. read in detail and memorize each and every part name. The only problem area I could see be would be when eliminating springs and swapping springs in whatevers step that is on the instructions page, they don't quite let you understand which valve is which and which when they are instructing you. You kinda got to figure it out, but thats not that hard.

And yeah the shift kit will toss ur ties a new chirp from 1st to 2nd, my uncle didn't enjoy hearing them CONSTANTLY chirping so he went to the trailer option of b&m (available with the b&m transpak)

I've got the B&M basic kit in a th350, with a sb400 up front. Under light throttle, it doesn't hit the tires very hard, part throttle it chirps them. If I hold it in first, mash the pedal to break em loose, then shift to second - it just keeps spinning! Sometimes, will even chirp 2-3 shift.

The first time I experienced wheelspin (not just a chirp) in a 1-2 shift with an automatic was in my brother in laws 78 Lil Red Express. Thought that was pretty cool at the time, had to have some for myself!

With enough motor, almost anything is possible.

Go for it, it only makes future improvements that much better.

Fast hard shifts are better for the trans in the long run. Soft shifts means slipping clutches which is bad. . but yeah. hard shifts are hard on the rest of the drivetrain, I say .. GO FOR IT!! Barkign tires are always cool.

• 3 months later...

Finally put the kit in, and its pretty nice. Defintitely shifts harder. Haven't heard these chirps yet, maybe im not getting into it hard enough laugh I wouldnt suggest doing this on your back either as I did, oil everywhere and a big pain.

• 2 months later...

I just had the TH350 done and based on the info here told the rebuilder I wanted absolutely "no bang" and "no slip".He went with the Transgo kit as described above.Its shifts perfectly!