powder coat

Guest crazyirish71mc

Guest crazyirish71mc

I keep going back and forth with tearing the whole car down to frame and starting from scratch. out of curiosity, what did it cost you all to powder coat the frames?

Guest crazyirish71mc

true! I have considered painting it myself, but just wondered what the benifits were if any between the two. I'm not building a "show car" per say. I just want it looking good and lasting for years down the road. Thanks for your input Sam!

Shawn

Once a stone, or anything else flys up from the road and chips the powder coat you will be painting it anyway. Powder coating is only good for things that are not subject to chipping, cracking from torque, grease, oil, fuels, and rotation in general. That doesn't leave much for the automotive environment. It also doesn't like high heat sources either. IMHO I wouldn't even mess with it. If you are not building a show car I'd blast the frame, prime, paint, and use a similar underbody coating that came from the factory. If it has lasted this many years from the factory it will last another 30 plus years if you do it right. Just my 2 cents.

i use Rust'o'leum paint.. it's durable.. good looking.. and easy to touch up!

if you thin it with Laquer thinner even tho they say not to.. it sprays really nice. I did the underside of my hood with it, and it's held up WAY better then stuff painted with DupliColor engine paint, or Kylon spray paint.

Don't ever use Brake Clean near it. I had a power steering pump housing done and I went to clean the inside out with brake clean. It made a mess out of the outside where the powder coat was.