Installing A/C

rebeldog1

Yes, Jim, I installed Classic Auto Air in my '70 non-AC car and have been very pleased with it.  At the time, nearly 10 years ago, I found the sales/support staff at Classic to be most helpful in making sure I got the right kit (a Monte takes longer supply and return hoses than a Chevelle).  You can also keep your lower (kick panel vents} fully operational when other kits like Vintage air don't.  The condenser was also larger and in a field serviceable unit should the coil need replacement and you don't have to cut the back end out of you glovebox to clear the evaporator unit. 

You can go with the fully manual controls and have a stock appearance in your dash or you can go digital, your choice.  I went with the manual controls for stock appearance and function.  Be sure to call them and let them know it is for a first gen Monte and they will help you configure it correctly.  I could never get the guys at Vintage Air to return my calls.

You can download their instructions before you buy anything and get a good idea of what is involved.  Maybe there are new and better options available on the market now, but that was my choice back then and I've never regretted it. 

A few photos are attached - more are available if you want/need them.  Good luck.

C13 2 Groove Pulley.jpg

C09 Hose Routing.jpg

C07 Sanden Compressor.jpg

C03 Firewall Hose Exit.jpg

B6 Control Panel.jpg

B4 Passenger Side.jpg

B1 Stock look interior.jpg

A5 Kit Name.jpg

A1 Title.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Canuck said:

Dennis, great reply, you rock! :)

Thanks, Aaron!  We help each other the most by sharing real-life experiences.  Words of wisdom are great but I find pictures most helpful.

• Like 2