Leaking Proportioning Valve

Skifoggy

Has anyone had issues with leaky brake proportioning valves? The current one was installed 4 months ago and is already leaking. My Chevelle buddies are saying they have had the same problem with the brass ones. Are there any cast iron ones available?

If it's leaking at the brake lines it could be a poor seat, or even a metric seat. Check to see if there's a mark from the brake line not sitting centered on both the fitting and the brake line flare, and try pushing the brake line into the seat before tightening it rather than letting the threads pull it down. If all else fails you could try something like a flare gasket from Parker Hannifin, it's a copper gasket that fixes flare mismatch.

Thanks Cody. I'm guessing that the flare was seated pretty well as it didn't leak until now. I will check to see if there is a mark on the line and go from there.

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

I’m just wondering why you would need to back off line nuts and tighten them again?

Sometimes  a small pc of dirt can get into there and the loosening up and retighten can help. When ever I have nay leakage at a fitting I always back it oof a half turn and reseat it.  That way I feel more assured that it is seated properly but that is just my gut feeling.

I understand that if they are leaking but why would you do it if they are not leaking?  That opens the possibility for air and moisture to get in the system and possibly require a bleeding of the system. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work if it’s not leaking. Again for my information