700R4 shifter for "72 Monte

Slovenian

Does anyone have a suggestion for a floor shifter to use on a 700R4 tranny in a '72 Monte with a bench seat?

I'm changing it to get better mileage with the extra gear.

Thanks, Jim in Grand Rapids, Mi

Does it have a floor shifter now? If so you can buy a kit to change it to the 4 speed pattern.

Ian

i'm using a Hurst Pro-Matic ][ it's not real cheap.. bout $180.. but it seems solidly built, and once I got the cable adjust right, it's fantastic.. but it IS a ratchet shifter.

you can just drop it into o.d and forget about it.. but it's a little bit of a process smile

from park, it's lift up, pull back. (That's reverse)

from reverse, it's sort of push down (supposed to just let it drop) and pull back for nuetral. .now you are in the normal ratchet gate.

pull back partway, and it will drop a gear into o.D.. pull back all the way and it will drop into 'd'.

this ratchet shifter will let u downshift two gears at a time, but up only one at a time. it sounds wierd, but works great on the street. from 4th, you grab the lever and pull back all the way till it stops.. that's second gear smile

from Low 1, you push foward, and it will go to 2nd, but you have to release the stick back to it's 'rest' position, before you can push it foward again for 3rd, same thing all the way back up to nuetral.

from nuetral, it's lift up and push foward into reverse, and from reverse it's lift up and push again into park.. with some finesse from nuetral, you can lift up and push right back into park smile

it sounds complicated, but it's not once you get driving with it.

if you aren't interested in racing, the B&M shifter might be a better choice for you.