Engine upgrades on non original engine.

GideonBowles

The car is a 71 Monte Carlo, originally a 350 but converted after the engine was removed because of an accident, I acquired the car after the engine and transition was rebuilt and sat in a yard since the 80s. 

The engine is a 1973 454 form a heavy duty pickup (that's all I know besides numbers)

Hello, So I have been in the works of shining up my engine, in the process I will be replacing the engine mounts, and figured if I'm going to be down there I might as well get myself a new timing belt and camshaft, the only problem is that I don't have the space to pull the engine completely and it is a 454 from a 73 pickup truck. I don't know how similar the engine is to the 71 Monte Carlo SS and its 454 but I figured they would be similar in size. I have been trying to figure out if its possible to replace the cam without the engine out, I know it will be harder but I'm willing and able. So if anyone knows if its possible to replace the cam without the engine removed, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Picture of the engine, I couldn't find out how to get a photo in here sorry.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNel59DldXYUPAtpWutrkwxV6KH78TmIn9OS1Bj

First of all hello back. The two engines (454) will be pretty much the same. There is no timing belt. It’s a chain and gears. Cam can be changed in car. Pull fan shroud ( probably the only advantage of the wasted space under the hood) and possibly the radiator. But my question is why are you doing that?  Please post reasons for cam change. That’s not an easy job. Intake manifold, valve covers, rockers and lifters, water pump,harmonic balancer, possibly the oil pan, timing cover all have to come off. And then there is the little stuff. 

• Like 1

I meant timing chain my apologies. So basically after I got the car I was told that it would run great but the camshaft was a pain and that it would possibly be a issue in the future, I will be replacing some of the internals as they are old are not in the best shape, and figured that I would like the extra power I could get. so with that in mind I thought getting two out of the way and any little thing would be a nice idea. I know i should pull the engine its just not feasible currently.

To what Dtret mentioned, the fuel pump and rod must be removed, moved also. 

On a big block the oil pan does not have to be touched and the radiator must be removed. A small block cam will just barley come out with the radiator in place.

The big block is 2 inches longer than a small block and that length is in the front of the block. That is why a big block fan shroud is shorter than the small block. 

Was told the camshaft would be a pain? Why? I know you don't mean swapping it out.

• Like 1