Transmissions, Rear axles, Engines We need a spread sheet!

stangeba

I see questions all the time about what trans, what axle ratio with all the different engines available. Tires also come up but not for this topic...

I work part time for my brother in-law and he is only into the inline SIX Cylinder engines, like Chevy 235.

He developed this sheet several years ago (Yes It's a picture of a sheet) that perhaps our group could develop for our engines???

I nicknamed it "Professor Langdon Grades your 235 driveline"

Thoughts?

WHAT-TRANS-DO-I-WANT.jpg

Where does the 'Grade' come from? Is it something subjective based on opinion or educated guess?

When I was trying to decide what gear sets to run in my Z/28 recently, I found a few online calculators & also spreadsheets. I was replacing a Doug Nash 5 speed, with a Tremec TKX 5 speed. The car already has 3.08 gears in the back to accommodate the DN 3.27 first gear, so I was trying to go thru the 3 available TKX options to avoid having to swap out the rear gears. (The tremec has a couple different 5th gear O.D. choices, where the DN was 1.0:1). I also added my Monte with the 4L85E & 4.11 rear as a comparison.

The spreadsheet below was the most helpful as it allows you to input tire sizes, rear gear ratios, transmission gear ratios, etc to get engine rpm & road speed numbers. It's pretty easy to tailor & label for your needs. There are a couple of different transmission choices already input, & the last few were extra from the original template I downloaded. Like I said, it's pretty easy to tailor it to your own personal needs, or I could do it if someone lists all the transmission, rear gear ratios & tire sizes that may be used. Hit the 'Transmission Comparison' tab on the bottom to see the different choices.

The Krider was of the most value to me at the time, but the other one I found first & it wasn't bad either, until I found that one.

Krider Racing DNN Motorsports Gear Calculator Z28.xlsx

GearCalc tremec-muncie.xlsx

• Like 1

I will check these out Joe, thanks!

The grade is his educated calculation based on many years of experience working at Chevrolet engineering, Powertrain division.

• Like 1