driveshaft

hey guess im in need of some help this is now the third time haveing my gears slip ive been told that my trani is fine but it might be my driveshaft is short of where its supposed to be ive had it looked at and was told it looks wornout or cut i was woundering if anyof you have heard of it ive gone through 2 bottles of transmission fluid in one day well more like 10 minutes i dont no if its the trani ive had it looked at and they've told me both times it was just low on fluid.. if anyof you have any idea whats goin on please contact me back if it matters i have a 350 turbo trani with 327 motor

is the tranny the original one "short output shaft cover type" or is it a replacement with a longer out put shaft cover? also what is the measurement of your drive shaft from center of u joint holes to center of u joint holes

Alex

i will measure mine tonight and let you know my measurement.

i couldnt tell u if it was new or not i think it might be because i thought most montes came with 350s but that dosent mean anyything im not sure ive found a place to give me an aluminum driveshaft so maybe they might be able to fix it.... and i was curious have u ever heard of that kinda proble before

cool If you need measurements for drivshaft length I have one for a 350/350 car, out and can get them for you. That way you would know if lenght is possibly part of your problem

Had the same problem years ago on a Monte i bought. After putting a drive-shaft in out of a different Monte the problem still wasn't cured (to short). After looking closer I found someone had replaced the motor mounts with the later 70's /80's style and hadn't pushed the motor back far enough before welding (YAH WELDING) the mounts to the cross-member. Since the 327 was discontinued in 1969 and Monte's wern't available with them, we no the motor has been changed in your car so it is possible the mounts may have been moved or replaced. Just a possible cause in case the driveshaft length is correct of-course smile

terry

There are 2 types of th350s long tail shaft and short shaft "the long tail is for trucks" this is why i asked as the wrong type of tranny put in or wrong drive shaft lenth can cause this.

alex

Actually I have seen 3 diferent sizes of talstock on the 350 trany.

terry

Techniclly.. there are 4

4x4, short, medium and long.

4x4 is basicly just a plate bolted to the back of the trans as the speedo unit is in the transfer case.