Rare 400 small block 4-speed

I came across this build sheet on Facebook. I always knew it was an available combination but never seen one and assume it is very rare. I thought I would share it here.

958DB91F-4381-4F18-B5DC-630D72C9B6FA.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool find, Aaron!  It was apparently one of the 839 small blocks shipped with a 4-speed in '70. Guess no one knows how many of those were the 400 ci engine.

While it was a fairly low optioned car, it was a rather nice looking (cranberry red with black vinyl top), fun/sporty configuration with black vinyl buckets/console, 400 small block, 4-speed. 3:31 rear gear and G70s with rally wheels.  It apparently wasn't optimized for performance as the 300 hp 350 or 330 hp 402 would have been a better choices, as well as, posi-traction, dual exhaust and the full gauge instrument cluster.  No power options but at least it had power steering (which my 402 4-speed was built without). 

I can't imagine any dealer would order that configuration for inventory so someone must have had some specific objectives and/or budget restrictions.  It would be a great starting point for a very fun first gen if it could be found today in reasonable condition.

2 hours ago, Steve G said:

Why do I get the feeling this build sheet was found with 6 other sheets stuffed in the seat of another Monte Carlo?

The guy that owns the car posted it as he wanted help decoding the sheet and his body tag.

47 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The guy that owns the car posted it as he wanted help decoding the sheet and his body tag.

So, did anyone help him? We collectively have done that numerous times.  Maybe he should become a member (assuming he isn't already)?

• Like 2