Any torque converter experts out there?

JP_AstroMan

Hey folks. I am wondering if any of you know your torque converters. If so, I could really use some help choosing one while my engine is at the machine shop. My '72 Monte was 454 swapped at some point and I bought it with that 454 in complete stock form. So I'm sure the converter is incorrect for what's coming.

Here are the important things to know:

496 BBC (approximately 575hp)

Cam 3000-6200rpm (cam specs attached)

TH400

4:11 rear gears (would like to change to 3:73 soon)

GearVendors

Cruise RPM - 2800

Tire size 275/45/18

Car weight 4000lbs

All depends on what you want to do with the finished product. 

For example, Big Red, my 70 SS was purchased as a roller with no engine or trans. Everything else was there. I built a 496, rectangle port 990 heads, rpm air gap, hooker comp headers with a stockish look, th400 with a tight 3000-3200 rpm converter that will flash to 4000 at the track with 3.31 gear. I went to PTC for the converter. Super happy with the results and I have used all the big name and small name converter manufacturers. I told them I wanted stock like street manners with a high flash for racing, when I go. They said they knew exactly what I needed. Sure as S#$t they did. 

I would recommend giving PTC or a manufacturer of your choosing a call. The 496 in any form is a torque monster! NOT including the factory 8.1. Lolol

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

IMG_0124.JPG

As Tom said, end use is very important. If someone is building it for you get their input also. 

• Like 1

Love the 3.31s with the torque of the 496! Cruising well with the 275/60 r15s and racing well with the 275/60 r 15 drag radials. Melts tires at will and can cruise the hwy. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, MC1of80 said:

For example, Big Red, my 70 SS was purchased as a roller with no engine or trans. Everything else was there. I built a 496, rectangle port 990 heads, rpm air gap, hooker comp headers with a stockish look, th400 with a tight 3000-3200 rpm converter that will flash to 4000 at the track with 3.31 gear. I went to PTC for the converter. Super happy with the results and I have used all the big name and small name converter manufacturers. I told them I wanted stock like street manners with a high flash for racing, when I go. They said they knew exactly what I needed. Sure as S#$t they did. 

I would recommend giving PTC or a manufacturer of your choosing a call. The 496 in any form is a torque monster! NOT including the factory 8.1. Lolol

IMG_0124.JPG

Is that some type of Header Heat Shields I am seeing on this beast?  Are those custom manufactured or is something like that available for the rest of us?  In SBC format too maybe?

9 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

Is that some type of Header Heat Shields I am seeing on this beast?  Are those custom manufactured or is something like that available for the rest of us?  In SBC format too maybe?

No. Just hooker competition headers.

• Like 2