1971 water leak

need some advice. On the 71 monte  carlo that that I just purchased , trying to fix a water leak into the driver's side. I removed the kick plate and took out a vent cover  behind it, that someone had sealed with some kind of puttey.  I could see up to the Cowell area. Removed all the debris at the bottom. When I stuffed my arm in the Cowell, I felt a sheet metal lip only a about 1/4 high. Seems like to low to prevent water from flooding right over it. 

The water is supposed to drain down the rocker too. There's a rubber flap near the back as well. My car was full of junk in that whole area, luckily it wasn't bad enough to rot through.

I'd run a little water in the top of the cowl area, where the wiper mechanism is, and see if water starts making its way inside the car. Trace it back from there.

• Like 3

I did that with some water and it comes into the floorboard near that sheet metal panel. I don't have a rubber flap that I can see or feel. where is the rubber flap attached, and should I be able to see it. Can see the whole area top to bottom with the metal cover off.

Rubber flap is way in the back, near the rear wheel. Not really an issue,  unless your rockers are filling up with water and it can't get out.

Worst case, take a road trip and I'll help you figure it out.

• Like 1