Tragedy at the races

Chris shipley

The first Eastern Meet that we attended was at the track in Commerce Georgia.  On of the First races I watched were two jet cars.  One of the cars lost it from the line, crossed the track, hit the Jersey  barrier right in front of us then veered back across the track and hit the Jersey barrier on the other side, flipped over and burst into flames.

The hose on the foam truck responding to the fire ended up wrapping around the tire of an ambulance ripping the hose from the fire truck.  

That left hand held fire extinguishers to try to put out the fire.  The driver died from his burns that night in the hospital.

rob

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

The first Eastern Meet that we attended was at the track in Commerce Georgia.  On of the First races I watched were two jet cars.  One of the cars lost it from the line, crossed the track, hit the Jersey  barrier right in front of us then veered back across the track and hit the Jersey barrier on the other side, flipped over and burst into flames.

The hose on the foam truck responding to the fire ended up wrapping around the tire of an ambulance ripping the hose from the fire truck.  

That left hand held fire extinguishers to try to put out the fire.  The driver died from his burns that night in the hospital.

rob

Terrible tragedy 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jared Richey said:

I love watching the jet cars but I still get the weebiejeebies after that 2002 commerce incident. It happened right in front of us. 

Yes . Totally understandable  

The jet car hit the first Jersey Barrier right in front of where we were sitting.  Someplace I have pictures of the two cars on the line and of the aftermath when it hit the second wall and rolled over bursting into flames.  

rob