Very dissapointed with Dell

kc8oye

well, I have to admit.. for the first time, I'm utterly disgusted with Dell. I had an issue with my laptop.. I took it back to Staples where I bought it (3 days after I got it)

they shipped it back to dell... dell "fixed" it.. when I got it back the problem was still present.

I had to lean on staples to make them give me a whole new laptop.

allan.. that's not what concerns me.. Even if I had ordered this laptop directly from Dell.. the fact that it was sent back for Dell to repair, and Dell sent it back to me, UNFIXED. it doesn't matter where I got it from.. I'm very annoyed that Dell sent it back to me unrepaired.

Oh yah they will come out....but it is not easy to get them to do it. They would rather walk you thru installing something or trouble shooting b4 they will actually send out a tech.

I had to beg in the past - & you are so much more computer literate than I am Tim (& Allan) so good luck on getting them to your house.

The big issues is differentiating between a hardware issue and software issue. If it is software (which it normally is) they will even force you to restore the original state before they would send anyone out. But with hardware you can usually pin down a specific failure that will send someone running.

Isn't that the truth??? They have made me kill my entire desktop so many times. It has gotten to the point I no longer have my email contacts in email anymore. I got tired of entering them all & having to kill everything. Maybe now that I do an external hard drive back up it is safe to put those back in.

And can you tell me why system restore does not work??? It never has & Dell tells me it doesn't have to work! nutz

system restore should always work. you need to make check points for it to work. if you have a problem say after down loading a new update you are supposed to be able to go back to a check point where it was working find. there is also a quick restore which will reset the computer to factory settings like when you bought.

Caps... do you use Microsoft Outlook for email? if you do, you can save the .PST file to a CD rom or somthing and then when you have to 'restore' you can just copy that file back and all of your email and what not will still be there.

it might be called outlook.pst, I can't remember what the defualt name is.

i have my .PST file as part of my routine backups. then if you accidently delete an email you need, it can be opened up out of the other pst file

Buy a HP!!!!!!!!

I have owned 6 HP Pc,s and not one major problem,one HP laptop no problem until I dropped it down the stairs. The only problem with HP is you cant understand there tech support people!lol

Mike

As you say it is Allan - the slider is all the way to Max as well & it shows monitoring & the box is not checked.

I can create a checkpoint & do it & then it tells me the restore point was not created.

EDIT: So I just created a restore point to today & then asked it to restore to it & of course THIS TIME it worked! lol But it is pretty finicky when it chooses to work or not.

Dave has an HP laptop and it's flaming pile of junk.. everytime you move the laptop, the body flexes so bad it ejects the CD rom.. that's really annoying.

in retrospect, I wish I got the Inpiron series instead of the studio series.. dell says the studio is supposed to be a midpoint between the 'low end' inspiron and the 'high end' XPS series. but the studio series i don't think compares to the inspiron in quality.

Last Dec we got an IBM Thinkpad 30 used off ebay & it has been trouble-free. I only use it for FGMCC & light surfing when either Greg or John have the desktop in use. And it is great to take with us when we travel.

Computers are like cars,some like this one some like that one,there all man made and prone to schoddy foriegn workmanship!

Mike

Do they make an American made computer,or did we miss out on that pot of gold too.

Sorry you can have your thread back.