Valve Body

Reaper

Hey guys... I am goin to be getting a manual/auto valve body for my TH 400 trans... what I was wondering is do you guys know a good brand to use? and is it easy enough to do that I could attempt it on my own or am I gonna have to take it to a tranny shop? Thanks Tom

Hey Reaper, I went with Hughes Performance for all rebuild parts for my TH350 for my 72' El Camino. I purchased their rebuild kit($265), aluminum pan($120), and auto/manual valve body($135). Don't know just yet if it is easy. Will being doing rebuild this spring into summer. You know, depending on available time. Valve body appears to be the least of my difficulties with the rebuild. - Dave

The valve body isn't too bad. Heck, you have to remove it just to install a shift kit. The only problem with doing the job is gravity. There are some BB-sized check balls that will drop out when you remove the valve body, so have your eyes open for those so you don't loose them. Putting them back in is easy with a dab of grease...your instructions should be good enough to let you know about that stuff. Some kits require that you enlarge some holes with a drill, so be sure that you have your car up high enough so you can stand the drill & bit under the trans pan.

Mechanically though, it isn't hard

i use the cheetah body valve in my th-400. now it's "turbo action" body valve. same company. its been in there for 10 years with a lot of track time. no problem. love it. not a hard job to do but you have to read the direction carefully and make sure to follow every step. the placement of the check balls and holes are critical. put them in a wrong spot, you got problem.

good luck.

thanh.

No joke about the check balls. Blew up a 700r4 trans. The thing worked great untill I got on the highway and it went into fourth. Broke a one-way sprag. Ussually if you are putting in a new valve body, the directions will tell you where they go. But I would still be carefull taking it down. Big J.