Your thoughts on shocks

Marks71

Had the car on a 2 post lift a couple days ago and the left rear shock apparently didn’t like being extended that far, so it quickly left a puddle on the floor. I’d like to get some thoughts on a preferred shock for these cars. Planning on some future upgrades. Mainly just bushings and boxing the trailing arms for a rear sway bar. Mine is not an F41 car. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have had excellant service from KYB Gas Adjust (high pressure gas shock). They also make a softer gas shock called the Excel G. I have not used the Excel G, but the Gas Adjust shocks I am using on my 62 Impala SS have improved handling without a harsh ride.

When I first put the 72 Custom together in 2020 (comes with the F41 suspension originally), I used the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on it. Seemed pretty good, but maybe a little soft?

I replaced them earlier this year with Bilstein shocks, and they do seem a little more firm. Price on them were more than double the KYB's I think.

A lot will depend on what springs you plan to use, tire profile, etc.

I think the Bilsteins were around $100 a piece. I’m probably going to leave the springs alone. It’s got just under 60k on the miles. I realize that it’s still been sitting on the original springs for 52 years though. But the car sits nice and level, even with a full tank with no  side to side leans. The rear tires are 275/60 and the fronts are 225/70. I wouldn’t mind firming the ride a little. If gas shocks will do that then maybe that’s the direction I’ll go.