Flywheel or Torque Convertor Noise

When I start my 70 Monte a clanking noise starts coming from the back of engine area\transmission. The noise stops if I accelerate the engine only can be heard at idle or a stop light. When driving the noise cant be heard. I am thinking its either the flywheel or Torgue Converter. If anyone has any ideas please share with me.

When I start my 70 Monte a clanking noise starts coming from the back of engine area\transmission. The noise stops if I accelerate the engine only can be heard at idle or a stop light. When driving the noise cant be heard. I am thinking its either the flywheel or Torgue Converter. If anyone has any ideas please share with me.

Ufcguy,

I would surely like to help,but your noise might be hard to diagnose thru a tech forum! I live in Norwalk,where do you live?..perhaps I can be of help If you would like to meet,and I can listen to your noise up close? Not a big deal!!

Rod

fgmcc

start with the simple stuff see if the torque convertor bolts are tight and bellhousing bolts. very true on being hard to diagnose Mo's70Mc's

I have a similiar problem with the 85 ss which i need to play with at a later date. would be interesting to see what it is.

alex

I took the car to a shop a few months ago and the mechanic said it was the flywheel. I am leaning towards that since the engine was rebuilt and installed by a previous owner and maybe didnt tighten the flywheel or used the same old flywheel. The car has headers so I will check them for anything loose. I will be changing the the flywheel for a billet aluminum one and put a tci torque converter.

Any suggestions just keep sending them in and I will repost once I fix the problem in a few weeks

Ufcguy,

the noise that you speak of!..have you considered checking to see if the bendix drive in the stater motor is hanging(partially engaged)on the flywheel!!

Sometimes the spring in the stater solenoid weakens and does not return the drive all the way,a careful inspection under the car while it's running can tell you alot!! That type of noise is most prevalent at idle and it goes away as you increase rpm's

Rod

fgmcc

Just from the info we have here, it sounds like a loose set of bolts or a cracked flexplate. The cracked flexplate isn't too common, so bolts should be #1. It sounds as if something is rattling back & forth when the engine idles, but the sound goes away when you speed up (smooth out) the engine speed. Does the sound go away when you put a load on the engine? My first guess would be the torque converter to flexplate bolts, and if those are loose you want to tighten them right away.