Easy Pilot Bushing Removal tip

jft69z

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

So I have a '69 Z/28 in the shop now for some work that the owner wants done, which also includes a new clutch setup. I have suggested a Centerforce clutch, along with a new roller pilot bushing. As we were talking, the subject of bushing removal came up, where as I've tried the slidehammer/puller method with no luck, and usually ended up using the old input shaft/grease method to 'hydraulically' force it out.

He told me to try using a 5/8" inch bolt instead. Hmmmm, you say?

Simple as can be. Screw a 5/8" inch bolt in there slowly with an impact and watch that thing pop out in less that 4 seconds. No fuss, no mess!

Word of caution - I doubt it would work with a roller type bushing (but didn't have any old ones here I could have popped in there to test it out), and I wouldn't try it on a LS based engine either. Some of those crankshafts are hollow, with a freeze plug type arrangement in the rear. It could possibly be damaged by the bolt pressing against it during the bushing removal process, which would spell disaster once the engine was fired up and pumped oil out of the back of the crank.

Next step was to order some offset dowels, as the scattershield he has in there is out of spec, with .015" runout. I have a couple of .007" dowels coming which should put it well within the typical .005" allowance for that measurement.

20231210_182603.jpg

20231210_205148.jpg

20231118_165552.jpg

• Like 5

That’s one to keep in the memory bank. I saw that method used about a year ago on a rerun of the show Garage squad, worked exactly the way you described it. I wish I could’ve remembered that a month ago. I could’ve saved myself a lot of time. Great tip though. Thanks for the reminder.
John S

• Like 2