Intake question

wallaby

Is anyone here running a big-block with an Eddy PERFORMER intake? Not the RPM....just plain Performer.

I have one and I suspect I'm having issues with it. I could be wrong, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has had similar experience.

Guest 72yellowmc
Is anyone here running a big-block with an Eddy PERFORMER intake? Not the RPM....just plain Performer.

I have one and I suspect I'm having issues with it. I could be wrong, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has had similar experience.

What are your issues???

I was just wondering if anyone was using the performer (2161) and was less than happy with it.

I think my needs would be better served with the performer RPM, but I don't want to go any taller. Already I'm having problems getting an air cleaner under the hood, and there is very little room for airflow between the carb and air cleaner lid.

The problem is that I suspect my secondaries aren't opening. (I have Q-jet) and don't hear any of the notorious noise the Q-jets make when the throttle is down.

Now either the 180 degree design of the manifold spoils that noise, or the manifold isn't flowing enough volume of air to open the secondary air door on my carb. This performer manifold has some pretty small ports to keep velocity high, but maybe they are restricting flow?

Does anyone know a neat method to verify if the secondaries are opening? My problem could be imagined.

Hey Mark, I know with Holleys, the trick to see if the Vac. Secondaries are opening is to wrap an easily bent paper clip around something and bend it so that if the secondaries move, they bend or move the paperclip so you can see it later on.

You might also look at the Weiand Stealth intake.

The front/rear height on the Stealth are 4.75"/5.75"

The Performer RPM is 4.45"/6",

The Performer is 4.3"/5.4".

The performer is supposed to be a stock replacement intake (from my understanding anyway), so with your added upgrades like cam and exhaust, I am sure the intake is restricting you.

I use a Performer RPM air gap which has the same f/r heights supposedly as the regular RPM. I have a holley style carb with a .5" spacer and a drop-base Moroso 3" air cleaner and I have about .5" clearance.

Ok, thanks. The paperclip trick might work for me.

I was about to go and buy a potentiometer from radio shack or something....maybe even a fuel tank sending unit, just to verify that the secondaries are/aren't getting opened.

I know the mechanical part is working (those open up to a perfect 90 degree), but the question is whether the air valve (that crazy flapper door over the secondaries) is being pulled open.

If my 468 can't move enough air to pull the door open, I have a problem. I think I had better results with my stock intake: at least it has ports as large as the ones in my heads!

MArk, I ran a regular Perf on my small block with only 6 good cylinders and I had no problems opening the secondaries...

I would suspect the carb before the manifold.. but that's just me.

and I always had good qjet noise smile ( I miss that sound running my holley)