rear end

Thats what mine has cry

I was just curious because when I had my u-joints replaced the guy said he didnt think that was the stock rear end, he said there was very little slack between the rear end and driveshaft and it was quite interesting getting the driveshaft out but I guess thats how its supposed to be

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

YES, 1972 MONTES CAME WITH 8.2 C-CLIP TYPE REARS AND 12 BOLT C-CLIP TYPE REARS. AND YES I am sorry for the caps...lol I am not yelling just lazy. lol 1973 GM used the 8.5 corperate rears in all mid size even full size they are good strong rear differentials. If you find a 1971 or 1972 buick or olds rear they will bolt right into the 1972 montes or any other A-Body GM car. They also have bolt in axles too which is a nice feature. I sell alot of them here in Ohio.

I know that there were some 70's that came from the factory with a BOP 8.2. Mine was one of them. I was told it was do to a strike at GM. They told me that they ran out of regular corp rear ends so they used the BOP in stead. The BOP 8.2 10 bolt is almost as strong as the GM 12 bolt. Mine has been in the car 7 years, thousands of launches from the track.

Monte

• 2 months later...

there was a strike in 1970 so they were grabbing rears where they could get them. They had extra tempest type rears so they used them. As for the strength thing... Not trying to start a war- if they were both built the same to perfect specs. I will have to go with the 12 chevy rear for strength. Bigger ring gear and much bigger pinion. plus 12 bolts holding the ring gear on the carrier and bigger carrier bearings too. The axles are larger and 30 spline. I do not think they are even in the same ball park.

I do not doubt the rear is holding up like you say. I do think any rear will hold up very good as long as someone has taken the time to set everything up to spec and maintains the service of the rear.

After a lot of surfing on the boards and elsewhere I have learned much about the types of rears that came in our Montes....My 70 came with a Pontiac 8.2....My build sheet reads....rpo code GU7 2.78's and I checked the #'s and codes on the rear which definitly are Pontiac...WC = Tempest/GTO/f-85 w/2.78..What everyone should know in order to upgrade this type of rear is this.....The BOP 8.2 Is definately a bolt in axle rear That has the 2 scallopes on the cover...There are "27" splines on the pinion and "28" splines on the axle....Auburn makes a posi unit with cone type mechanisms...this unit is the least expensive and cannot be rebuilt...Eaton now has a posi that uses friction plates instead of cones which is rebuildable but more $$...The ring and pinion for these rears are also more $$...Installation kits run the same for all types of rears....I found a package deal here in NY, Bohemia L.I... Eaton posi, ring and pinion(3.55,3.90,4.11 or 4.56)... no 3.73s and the install kit for $750.00....This isnt cheap but if you whant to keep your car #'s matching its the way to go.....One more thing if you are looking to go with 3.55's or bigger the carrier must be for 3.36's and >.....I hope this helps..I know I repeated some info here...I'm just looking out for all with this type of deal....Al