how to install new Circuit board

Rich 71

Remove all the light bulb sockets "twist", then remove the screws that hold the printed circuit to the steel IP base. The circuit board should come off then replace it with the new one, carefully replace the bulbs and screws. I don't remember any problems with mine. I DO remember the tiny fragile shift indicator cable that I almost broke several times. Years ago I swapped my stock IP in my 71 for one with a tach and gauges. That was a big job for me!  Here are pictures I hope they help. I remember the small nut would NOT loosen up so I held the end tight with small vise grip pliers so I didn't break it off! The clock had a small piece of tape the I replaced to keep it from shorting out when it touched the circuit board! I don't think the headlight switch had to be removed. (off topic but...) I remember reading that some replacement H/L switch's don't have the correct number of terminals and will cause problems. 7 are required on my 71 Monte.

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323 (1).JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

• Like 3

I would recommend testing all of your dash bulbs before you put the dash back together. You can do this by plugging in the large main connector to the cluster housing and then ground the metal case to the dash frame or some other known good ground. Turn your lights on. Look to make sure all of the bulbs are illuminated. I found that some of mine needed the connection "tweaked". The metal tangs on the back of the bulb socket often need bent a little bit to ensure a good connection the printed circuit board. Check it before to make sure or you'll be taking the dash back apart when you discover some of your lights aren't lit up. :(

• Like 3