Fuel Mileage

Chevyss

Just curious what kind of mileage a person might get with a 502? I haven't got a chance to drive it on the open road yet, still in the break in stage. 502 w/700r4 and 3.73. Hoping to drive it to car shows this year and wonder what to expect.

My ZZ502 gets 13 mpg on average with my overdrive. My car has 4.11 gears but the ovedrive knocks it down to 3.22.

I always end up putting my foot into it every time so I know it can get better.

Your overdrive should knock your ratio down to like a 2.60 something so I would think you would get better...although I don't know how your 502 is built.

Bill

Straight GMPP ZZ502. Nothing has been done to it. 850 vacumn secondaries. If I ever quit doing things to it and get a chance to hit the road I'll be able to find out. If it's to bad it will become a trailer queen.

You won't enjoy it as much if you have to trailor it everywhere! Just my opinion of course.

The key to mileage is to keep the rpms low, even when cruising to shows. Drive slow and I bet you can get 15 or higher, especially with that OD.

Guest XXXXXXX

The way I've always looked at it is, if you're gonna own a big block hot rod you can't be too worried about milage. Never bothered to check mine. 402,th400, 3:48 gears. I don't think I go thru an excessive amount of gas. grin

What carb are you running Bill?

A Holley 850 with vacuum secondary's...this came stock on the ZZ502 crate motor.

Bill

So with my Holley 770, it is not unreasonable to expect at least

low teens once everything settles in and cruisin' on the highway

in OD, right?

None of the driving I have been able to do has been highway and the

numbers have me wondering what it will cost to drive to Polson.

I miss my Qjet for the one reason of fuel milage.. it did WAY better the my holley carb..

but I manage about 11-12mpg in 3rd gear @ 70mph (3300 rpm)

and when my overdrive actully works.. I can run about 18-19mpg @ 70 (2250 rpm)

but that's with my little 355 :P~