posi clutch pack

kc8oye

Does anyone have a URL or information on what's involved with replacing the clutches in a 10bolt posi?

I fried mine at the track and right now, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly is involved with replacing the actual posi parts. I keep coming up with page after page on how to replace the posi center section as a unit.. but I can't find ANYTHING on replacing the clutches.. I'd rather not have to pay the local gear shop to do it if I dont' have to..

hrrrrm... ok.. so I guess changing clutch packs isn't too complicated.. especially if I just do a 'stock type' rebuild with the springs.....

Great link!

Tim you can do it, it's not that big of a deal. Just measure your backlash before you take the carrier out, and remember to have an axle in the clutch pack to line everything up before/while you stick the springs in.

am I understanding this right that basicly the clutch packs just create friction between the carrier and the side gears?

so that if one tire spins it essentially 'drags' the other one along with it?

btw.. where's a good place to get posi clutches?

will I need to know what size ring gear and carrier series I have?

right now, all I know for sure is that it's a 10 bolt 3.55:1

Yeah, you're thinking right Tim. The clutches basically try to tie the side gear/axle assembly movement to the carrier. On GM diffs, each axle is handled by it's own clutch pack. Not much to it.

Dave (72MC) recommended using Randy's Ring and Pinion in one of my threads for clutches.

cool. thanks.. I was gonna check out randy's ring and pinion just cuz Ian from eXtreme 4x4 mentioned them smile

• 1 month later...

Tim, I can offer you options on the price of clutches and springs we are a dealer for Randy's and JT diff. PLUS we have buy ins with Moser Engineering if you need better axles too. Jim

All discounted for the site. Ask Leo