tranny cooler

AL M

I'd like to order a tranny cooler for my 70 and it doesn't seem that I have much room between the a/c coil and the front support area. So far I have measured 2x and it seems that I have at max...13in. H x 10in. W to play with...I'd really like to know what you guys are running in terms of brand,measurements and location...It seems like I have slightly more room to the right of the hood latch area between the a/c stuff and front support than the left. This and a carb is all I need to get up and running for the season!

Here`s one that would fit depending on how thick you could go.

Measures 7.5" high X 12" wide X 3.12 thick

flx-4190.jpg

Part no. FLX-4190 from summit racing

This not the one I run, I have more room so I put a larger one on.

You will have to forget the fan then, but you have many choices in sizes and brands that will fit in there.

This B&M one measures 8 X 11 X 1 1/2...

bmm-70266.jpg

Do you have a cooler built into your radiator and what reason did you decide to add one, just curious?

Thanx 502,I just finished looking thru the line of coolers from summit...there are a few that could be a possible fit..the one above looks great..I was hoping for someone to chime in with one already done in that exact place(in front of the rad. either right side or left). and their measurements..i need one cause Im running a stout 355 with a 24-2600 convertor...Dont want anything to start cooking...Al

Take the plunge... bungiejump!.gif

and yank that air cond. equipment out of there and put in the biggest cooler.

2197906_60_full.jpg

roflol5.gif

Cool Jim give me a buzz...502 , I already removed all the a/c stuff except for the coil thats staying put....In my last post I made a boo boo..I meant to say behind the radiator not in front...Al

Why are the coils staying put with no air?

Plan on putting the air back on someday?

Ponder.gif

Why not use that coil as the tranny cooler (it`s huge) I think it would work, anybody else want to agree or disagree?

yes, I may put it back one day..Thats a good idea though...I've heard of it being done before..I wonder how many members have done it???

Al-

Just curious- why are you putting in a trans cooler? Is your trans running hot or are you driving around on the street with a really high stall converter?

I've always just used the cooler in the radiator- never had an issue, even with a 3000-stall converter and many, many miles. I even put a trans-temp gauge in and it never got too hot, so I figured "what is the point?". The stock stuff works fine in most cases- my 2 cents.

Jrb, thats not the 1st time i've heard that but everyone I talk to and everywhere I read says to install one...they're not expensive and easy to install.... and i guess its worth piece of mind.

At the last Moultrie Car Show I purchased two transmission coolers that resemble a finned tube. Mine are about 18 inches long and measure about 3 1/2" in diameter including the fins. Both the inlet and outlet are on the same end. It mounts below the radiator so it grabs new air. It's very rugged. A rock won't hurt it. Even though it mounts to the bottom of the radiator support, it's still mounted up high enough so it won't hit any speed bumps. I'm just installing it now. This cooler is exactly what I had been looking for. In my opinion, which I admit might be worthless, all transmissions need an auxillary cooler.