Ceramic coating on headers.

Crow

Got some Dynatech stepped headers (1 5/8 - 1 3/4)with the ceramic coating for my stroker, now I need to know if I can use them on the dyno to set up my engine out of the crate? I've heard that I can ruin the coating if they get too hot, but how hot is too hot? I think the only things I will have to adjust is the timing and carb, and that can be accomplished at a low RPM mostly, right? If I don't have to break in the valvetrain (roller cam)at higher RPMS they should be alright? Or should I use my rusty old 1 5/8"Heddmans until it is dialed in, then retune with the ARs.

I would not break in an engine with ceramic coated headers, especially ones done by the maker of the headers. I have heard guys do it before but they also used huge floor fans to keep everything as cool as possible. Some were fine and some were not.

That being said, I am one that did it when I broke in the Elkie engine and mine looked just as good after the break in as they did when I put them on. Mine were not coated by the header manufacturer though. They were coated after the purchase by Jet Hot. That is the only reason I took the risk. - Dave

• 3 weeks later...
very nice, don't get them dirty now... lol FYI, I just ordered a new product that says it's designed to polish ceramic headers, I'll let you know how it works...-Dave grin

If it works good Dave, I'll send you mine over the winter to polish! lol

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
very nice, don't get them dirty now... lol FYI, I just ordered a new product that says it's designed to polish ceramic headers, I'll let you know how it works...-Dave grin

no problem, now that you know how to tow you can bring the whole car... grin

Originally Posted By: footballubet
Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte

no problem, now that you know how to tow you can bring the whole car... grin

I'll leave it with a full tank of gas also!

just to let everyone know I finally got the ceramic header polish and it works pretty good. On the tough stain areas I used some carb cleaner with very fine steelwool, wiped it off and then polished. Came out very good. If interested go to www.carchemistry.com

they have the polish and a kit that includes a polish rag...FYI

Dave grin