Resto Planning

AlohaMonte

I haven't posted in several months. Feels good to be back.

I also haven't been a very kind Monte owner. It used to be my daily driver in (purchased 2001) 2001-2003. Then weekend cruiser until 2007. And since then it's "seasonally" driven.

Long story short, it needs a makeover. I wont be doing the work myself, but I'd like to know how to approach a shop about doing the work in a way that we're clear about what I want, how they're going to do the work, and the price.

Does anybody have a worksheet or checklist or something you can share with me about coming to a service agreement? Something you've used before handing a shop the keys to your car. I know what I want the final result to be, but I need to clarify the if this/then that steps. When they can proceed with the work, and when they need to call me first. This can be a $3k job or a $10k job if the expectations aren't clear.

Thanks

Nobody seems to want to respond, so I will throw my opinion in here. I think the first thing to do would be to drive the car to a few different body shops, speak with whoevers in charge and give them a clear picture of what you want.

Get at least 3 different quotes, and get a feel for the quality of work they do, then go from there.

Keep in mind that the quote you get could change if they start sanding the car and realize it is a bondo bucket.

I personally think a $3000 paint job will look like crap, I would say a conservative estimate of $7500 is more in line with reality.

Josh is right Michael, our bad for not getting back to you. My question would be what do you mean by makeover? Are you talking about paint as Josh replied, mechanical or a combination. If you could add a little detail then I think many would be able to give you some ideas. You can always PM me, Josh or anyone if you don't want to get into it on the forum.

Where so you live in Portland? I used to live in West Linn and my son lives in Sccappose. Dave... grin

I'm not a professional car restorer by any means but think about what you want out of the car (show car, daily driver, musclecar) and trying to do things yourself is always a good way to try and save money for more expensive paint or something for your motor. If your wanting a nice reliable car you wouldn't have to worry about going all crazy with the drivetrain and could focus on getting some really nice (and expensive) quality body and paint done. And same in vice aversa (sp?).

Even if you plan on doing little to the motor or suspension a makeover is still going to cost a fair amount of money... thats why mines still not done...