Tire pressure

Chevyss

What is a good starting point for tire pressure. I hope to run the Monte for the first time at our local track. I have G-Force drag radials on it. I was figuring about 22 would be a good start. Thanks in advance

Royce, I run my M/T's at 28 lbs on the street and 17-18 at the track (M/T says 75% of max pressure for the street), they're real stable at 17 lbs. JMO but 12 lbs is out of the question for a radial, they need some air to work properly. M/T says most people run them too low and heat them too much. Mine work fantastic on a good strip but I also have the Hoosiers for all out...Davey

I guess this is why they call it test and tune, Right!!! This will just be a get the butter flies out of my stomach. I'm already starting to get nervous. We will see if the weather holds out until Friday.

I guess this is why they call it test and tune, Right!!! This will just be a get the butter flies out of my stomach. I'm already starting to get nervous. We will see if the weather holds out until Friday.

I get nervous on every run, it's part of the gig...... grin

I agree with the 17-18 lbs., that's what I ran with them.

I wouldn't get them too wet...at my one track we back into the water so I would take them to the edge where there was a thin layer then pull forward a couple feet and start my burnout...no need for a John Force burnout but make them smoke.

Remember leave on the last yellow as soon as you see it... wink

I agree with the 17-18 lbs., that's what I ran with them.

I wouldn't get them too wet...at my one track we back into the water so I would take them to the edge where there was a thin layer then pull forward a couple feet and start my burnout...no need for a John Force burnout but make them smoke.

Remember leave on the last yellow as soon as you see it... wink

ditto with what Bill said...the advice about the water is something I missed. I've noticed that the 1/8th mile tracks tend to have a really short burnout area so the possibility of taking a wet tire to the line is higher. After I do my "hazing" I do a second little jab of the throttle just to make sure the tires are dry.... grin

Guest 72yellowmc

17 lbs is a good starting point.. roll into water then blip the throttle to just get a little water on them and roll out of the water and then go into your burn out... as soon as you see tires smoke stop the burnout and then stage as quickly as possible while the cpd is still warm ... it don't take long for the tires to cool off especially this time of year.

Hey Royce,

I've made a few passes and I still get a little nervous. It might all seem overwhelming at first. Kind of a sensory overload. Just remember ya don't have to go out and set a national record. laugh If you start to feel uncomfortable or the car doesn't feel right just lift. You can always make another pass. Once you get into a routine you will feel more confident and the nerves will settle. I have a routine that I do and I stick to it. Burnout the same amount every time. I'm pretty relaxed once I start to pull into the staging beams. Once staged I watch for the lights to come down and on the third yellow " Let'er rip tater chip". I then watch for the shiftlight hit the 1-2 and then the 2-3 and push all the way through the trap ( the last 66') and then lift easily ( don't snap the throttle closed as this could upset the cars balance) and ease on the brake. If you don't make the first turn off don't worry take the second. If the turn off is located on the righthand side the driver in right lane has the right of way and vise veras.

Have fun and be safe!!

David

Thanks David;

It will be fun and I'm sure after the first pass I won't be able to wait until the next one. I've got to find out about the antifreeze thing. Don't run antifreeze on the track some say. If something weret to happen it messes up the track.

Thanks again

I've got to find out about the antifreeze thing. Don't run antifreeze on the track some say. If something weret to happen it messes up the track.

That makes sense as antifreeze is very slippery but I have never had anyone tell me not to run with it (which I do)...maybe that's more common in areas that don't have a cold climate.

Seeing how you haven't run in years I'm gonna suggest don't worry about the tree and leave when you are ready...I was doing that the other day when I was test and tuning, I even sat there for about 2 seconds then took off.

Once you get comfortable after several or more rounds then maybe play with the tree.

Hey Royce, do you have an overflow tank on your car, if not then maybe straight water might be the way to go.

most tracks require an overflow device and some may get picky about a driveshaft loop but since you've never run it just play dumb (something I do quite well). If anything is dripping from your car they'll pull you off the track until you get it resolved. The anti-freeze thing came from Pinks All Out because Rich has a hissy fit if someone pukes it on the track 'cause it takes a long time to clean up (adds to the drama). No one will check for that but water does run cooler. Because you're up in Wa I wouldn't run it lower than 50/50 unless you want to change it later for storage...also make sure everything is tied down battery etc, they'll check for all that. I know down here your helmet must Snell 2000 or newer so check that too. I'm sure I forgot something.... grin

Originally Posted By: Chevyss
I've got to find out about the antifreeze thing. Don't run antifreeze on the track some say. If something weret to happen it messes up the track.

That makes sense as antifreeze is very slippery but I have never had anyone tell me not to run with it (which I do)...maybe that's more common in areas that don't have a cold climate.

I believe its a rule or an urban legend, I've heard that for years. Ive never run straight water

I dunno about your track, but up here, you will be told to leave the track if you back into the water box with ANY kind of treaded tire at all. (Slicks only in the water box)

dunno if it helps any.. but I run my M/T ET Drag's (I don't think they're radial) at 15psi...

our track doesn' tlike treaded tires in the water box because they pick water up.. fling it into the wheel wells.. then dripps off the cars on to the track at the starting line.. That's what they say anyway.

our track doesn' tlike treaded tires in the water box because they pick water up.. fling it into the wheel wells.. then dripps off the cars on to the track at the starting line.. That's what they say anyway.

there's truth to that Tim, I've noticed since I went from my M/T street radials to the Hoosier slicks it doesn't throw much up on the quarters now. Still they do allow it around here anyway....Dave